Chapter 11 : The truth

The weeks passed quickly, and soon it was Christmas day- my favorite day in the year. By this time Jack and I met almost everyday, we were inseparable. Mr. and Mrs.Moore didn't seem very pleased with him, but I couldn’t understand why. He was a really nice guy and treated me well.

I was very excited for the Christmas dinner. I got dressed nicely in a short-sleeved black dress for the occasion and went downstairs to the dining room where my parents were waiting for me.

“Merry Christmas Willow!” They both said as I came down the stairs, but their voices said that something was wrong.

“Merry Christmas!” I told them and gave them each a kiss on the cheek.

“Willow, before we start eating we need to explain some very important things to you and give you something special.” Amy told me with a hint of reservation in her voice. She handed me a small blue box that looked rather old.

I opened the box and took out a beautiful silver necklace. The pendant was in the shape of a beautiful full moon. It looked similar to the one on Amy's necklace, Dane's tie, and the ones I saw on the walls. Except that those moons were only crescents- not full moons.

“It's beautiful! It looks like the one you wear, Amy, but yours is a crescent moon. May I ask what they represent?” I asked my parents.

“That’s exactly what we’re going to tell you.” Dane paused, “At first you are probably going to think that we are lying, or that we are crazy, but we promise you that every single word we are going to tell you is true.” Dane assured me.

I was getting more and more curious by the second and I couldn't wait to hear what they were going to tell me. By the look on their faces it was going to be important too. 

After a few seconds of awkward silence I spoke, “Whenever you guys are ready I’m listening.”

Before Amy started to talk she let out a big sigh.

“We knew your parents Willow, in fact they were our closest friends. They didn't abandon you as you thought. They truly loved you very much and you were their greatest treasure. They only gave you to the orphanage so you would be safe.”  

Amy paused before continuing. “Your  parents where very important to our people, they were our leaders. That's why… they got killed by humans. They protected us from the humans. They sacrificed themselves so we could live. The necklace that we gave you was your mother's. It has a full moon instead of a crescent because you are royalty. When you are old enough you will be our queen.” She finished.

“Willow, you are a vampire like us and your parents.” Dane told me slowly.

I didn’t believe them, this had to be some kind of joke. Vampires didn’t actually exist, they were only alive in fairytales.

“You’re kidding right? Vampires only exist in stories and legends…” I told them, waiting for them to start laughing and tell me it was a prank, only their faces stayed completely serious.

“Trust us Willow this is no joke. The moon represents us vampires. Every vampire wears the moon pendant, that’s how we identify people of our kind.” Amy said, her face grim.

This wasn’t happening. Soon I would wake up and it’d all be over. 

“That’s why we don't like Jack. He's not a vampire, he's a human. Humans and vampires can't be lovers only enemies. The only thing humans are good for is for fuel for us. As terrible as that sounds it’s true. You can’t see him anymore or you are putting him in danger.” Dane told me seriously.

“But I love him! I can't break up with him, I promise I will never do anything to hurt him!” I told them with tears in my eyes.

“We understand that its difficult for you Willow but you must break up before you imprint him. If you two imprint it will be much more  complicated for both of you. It’s not like he’s your soul mate because you are different from each other.” Dane said.

“I don't believe that I'm a vampire I feel normal! I don't crave blood and I clearly don't burn in the sun.” I told them angrily.

“That's because you haven't changed yet. You officially turn into a vampire when you turn 17 years old. We are sure that you are one of us, we can smell it in your blood and your parents were both vampires. Besides we don't burn in the sun that's just a myth.” Amy told me.

This was too much for me to take in. I felt angry and scared, my life had just turned upside down and it was Christmas day!

“Darling, there are so many things that you need to know, but don't worry we will explain everything to you. Being a vampire doesn't mean that you are one of the bad guys.” Dane told me.

But it was too late.

I ran out of the mansion as fast as I could, I needed to be alone to cool off and get my thoughts in order. This was the worst Christmas ever! The one place I was sure I could be alone and just think was the forest not far away from my mansion.

As my feet kicked up dirt behind me I charged into the forest with no intention of ever going back to the mansion.