Chapter 1 : A special guest

It was two weeks away from Christmas day and all the girls at the orphanage were really excited because that day we were expecting someone to come visit us. Sister Maura, the nun that takes care of us, was adamant about not revealing anything about this guest even though we had been peppering her questions each day for the past week, which made us especially curious. Most of the children were thinking that maybe the prime minister, a celebrity, or someone especially generous was going to visit us. I had a feeling that none of those people were going to come. I knew that the person coming was going to change my life forever.

At two o'clock in the afternoon we heard the familiar 'ding dong' of the doorbell, the long awaited guest had arrived.

While the nuns welcomed the guest I went into the common room with the other girls to wait excitedly for our mysterious guest. As the guest walked into the room the girls let out a collective sigh.

The guest wasn't a celebrity or the prime minister. He was just a normal man. He looked in his mid-thirties, had short mousy brown hair, and was wearing a dark grey suit with a green tie. Although he was just an ordinary man he was very handsome for his age and was dressed in a clearly expensive suit, indicating he was quite wealthy.

''This is Mr. Moore, the guest you were all waiting to meet. He is here because he is looking for a new addition to his family. He’s is looking to adopt one of you!” Sister Maura said with a smile.

We all looked at each other, some were happy and some looked very shocked and almost scared. I was excited because it had been quite a while since someone had come to adopt one of us.

Mr. Moore cleared his throat and once he had our full attention he started to introduce himself, ''I have to tell you that the person that I'm going to chose will no longer live in London but will come with me to live in Ireland with me and my lovely wife. Now let me introduce myself. My name is Dane Moore and I'm 35 years old. I work as a lawyer and I got married 10 years ago to my lovely wife Amy. Unfortunately she is unable to come with me to adopt one of you.'' He said while looking over us.

After he had introduced himself he started to walk in front of us and asking us some questions, we all looked nervous waiting for him to come and talk to us. We knew we needed to make a good impression, I knew I wasn’t the only one looking forward to getting out of here.

When he came in front of me he stopped and I could see a small smile forming on his lips. Meanwhile the children and the nuns were all staring at me. I felt my face turn red, I always feel uncomfortable and stutter when many people are looking at me.

''What’s your name, and how old are you?'' Mr. Moore asked.

''M-my name is Willow Anderson and I'm 16 years old.'' I said.

Are you from Ireland? You certainly have the ginger hair.'' He asked me.

When I first meet people that was usually the first question that they asked me because of my hair. Of course I don't know where I'm from so I usually give them a simple no.

''I don't really know where I’m from because nobody knows who my parents are, and I was brought here when I was really young so I don’t remember either.''

Dane smiled even more when I told him that answer. I thought that he was a little crazy because nobody ever smiled when they found out I didn’t know who or where my parents are. They generally gave me a sympathetic look instead.

“Would you like to be adopted by me? I asked all of the girls this and some seemed more excited than others.” He asked me.

Seriously? Yes! I would love that, I’ve always wanted to get out of London and Ireland seems amazing!” I was practically shouting, I was so happy. Finally I was going to have a family to call my own. All my prayers to God had finally be heard, my wish had just been granted.

“Well, of course there is some paperwork to do but that can be handled in a minute. Pack everything you need because tomorrow at noon we have a plane to board.'' Dane said with a smile before turning around to talk to one of the Sisters about paperwork and such.