I can't help admire him as a teacher. He's smart and young. No wonder the university wanted to hire him. He clearly knows what he's talking about and if people actually listened to him maybe they wouldn't give him such a hard time. Of course no one will give him a chance though because they feel as if they can have an upper hand when it comes to him.

Unlike everyone else, I listen to him go on and on about why the prison systems are so corrupt, I wonder what has sparked a fire inside of him. Does he watch a lot of crime shows? Or maybe it's all the reading he does. Either way it seems to be a subject he's fairly passionate about. But I guess if you're going to teach Criminal Justice you have to be passionate about all things crime.

But Professor Hemmings is an educated guy and that's as clear as day. I'm sure he could stand here and lecture us about anything in the world. I have no doubt he has the ability to do so considering the vibe he gives off. But once again, that's probably due to how much he reads.

I hear Bryant's friends start talking amongst themselves once again which seems to throw off Professor Hemmings slightly. It seems to throw off Professor Hemmings slightly but not enough for him to stop his lecture. His words become a little more stuttery as their loudness distracts him making me grip my pen tightly. Some people truly don't ever grow up.

"And then uh if you'd flip to-"

Snort.

All the words I plan on saying to Bryant after class zoom through my head in anger. I don't care if he hasn't directly said anything but I'd sure he's back their snorting and making comments under his breath.

"And then you just-"

One of them laughs obnoxiously loud which makes Professor Hemmings look up subtly. Why won't he say anything? He's the literal professor.

Instead of saying anything, I watch as he sighs and closes his book he holds in his hands.

"Why don't we call it a day?" he asks rubbing the bridge of his nose. "It seems everyone's focus is on the weekend."

My mouth drops open as everyone doesn't taken another second to get up in celebration and hurry towards the front of the room. I can tell how disappointed Professor Hemmings looks but he turns his back to us all as he packs up his own stuff.

Sighing on Professor Hemmings' behalf, I pack up my own stuff and wait for everyone to leave the room so I can stay after and talk to him. I want him to know someone in this room cares about what he has to say.

As I put everything in my backpack, Bryant hurries to my side and says, "You coming back to mine babe?"

"No," is all I say, remaining short with him as I zipper up my backpack.

"Why? I thought we were doing dinner tonight?"

"You're an asshole," is all I say as I get up from my chair and place my backpack on my shoulder.

He furrows his eyebrows and takes a step back and asks, "Woah, what did I do?"

He seems almost insulted that I'm not giving him the time of day. Leave it to Bryant to play victim and truly have no idea why I'm upset when I snapped at all of his dimwit friends.

"I'm talking to Professor Hemmings," I say as most of the room has cleared out. "I'll see you later."

"Babe-"

"Go join your jackass friends," I say nodding to the crowd that waits for him at the door to the classroom. They raise their eyebrows at my comment but just laugh it off instead of taking it to heart. He seems to open his mouth to say something but I just give him a look of warning.