drummer boy.

Luke's POV:

I stand in front of the book shelf a lot longer than I had planned on it. The book sits there taunting me. Practically begging me to pick it up and walk it over to the register.

My hand has been resting on my chin and as I've stood contemplating whether I'm actually going to go through with this for at least ten minutes. I can't go through with this. I shouldn't go through with this.

But hell, why shouldn't I? What's the worst that could happen?

"Sir, can I help you with anything?" A male voice asks from behind me making me immediately turn around.

I come face to face with an employee who has definitely walked by me a few times wondering who the psychopath is who's been staring at this bookshelf forever now.

"I'm alright, thank you though," I say shooting him a soft smile.

He gives me a hesitant nod before walking off with a subtle shake to his head. I use this as my cue to pick the damn book to make myself look like I'm at least doing something.

The new book rests in my hands and I eye the familiar material like it's my first born baby. God, I love this book.

As I open it, my phone starts loudly ringing in my pocket making me jump a little as a few people turn to glare at me. Hurrying, I fish it out of my pocket and see Ashton's name light up the screen. I walk away from the bookshelf with the book in hand as I answer the call.

"Yes, Ashton?" I ask a slight hint of annoyance in my voice.

"Woah, what's with the tude?" he asks with a snort.

"I'm in the bookstore," I say tucking the book under my armpit. "Is this important? Everyone's giving me looks that could kill."

"Yes, I was wondering if you were coming to my gig tonight."

I bite my tongue considering I know I had told him last time I would go but honestly, there's no way I'm going anywhere tonight. I'm spending my weekend just like I spend every other weekend, reading.

"I don't know Ash, I'm about to buy this new-"

"Please don't say book," Ashton begs and I just remain quiet. "Luke, you can't let books be the reason you don't go out on the weekends!"

"What else would I do?" I ask skimming the bookshelves with my eyes.

"Watch your best friend perform a gig! Go out for at least twenty minutes, you don't even have to drink or talk to anyone," Ashton says in exasperation.

"I don't know," I say knowing I'm going to say no in the end. I hate telling him that because I know how desperately he wants me there. But I don't understand how he hasn't caught on by now. It hasn't worked then and it's not going to work now.

"My friend I've been working out with is going," Ashton says making me shoot my eyebrows up. "He wanted to check me out and get a few drinks."

"Ah, so you're trying to replace me," I say jokingly.

"Honestly, may need to soon if you keep picking books over me."

"You're more than welcome to stay at home and read books with me," I say considering it's not me choosing books over Ashton. We just have different ideas of fun. He'll never understand that and will continue to not understand why I don't want to go out and get drunk with him.

"Luke, think through that question again and you tell me what the answer to it is," Ashton says to me.

I chuckle as I walk away from the bookshelf and towards the register. I'm going to impulsively buy this. I don't care how dumb it may be. I can just buy it now and make up my mind later about what exactly it is that I want to do with it.