Chapter 42

*Alyssa's POV*

My smile fell as I sat back down in Niall's seat and watched him walk away with Luke. Damn, I felt clingy. I continued to stare after his general direction and didn't even notice when the person next to me nudged me slightly.

I jumped and looked to my neighbor. "You okay?" The darker skinned one asked. I couldn't remember his name so I just blinked at him a couple times as he made himself comfy; leaning back against the sofa and propping his right foot over his left knee.

"Y-yeah. I'm good."

He smiled at me and his smile felt warm. It wasn't like a, "I'd love to take you home with me," kind of smile. It was more of a, "That's good to hear," kind of smile.

This kid seemed nice which made me wonder how he was thrown into this crazy drinking and partying lifestyle. I looked around to the rest of the guys along with my brother whom I barely knew. They were all advanced in a conversation and smiling as they spoke. That made me wonder how any of these charming and nice guys got put in this crazy and unhealthy lifestyle.

I wanted to know, more specifically, about how my brother was completely okay with the surroundings we were in while I felt completely and totally uncomfortable. Had he not have been put up for adoption, I can almost guarantee that he would feel just as out of place as I did. But low-and-behold, here he was completely camouflaging among the rest of these people. It's all because we grew up from two different stories and backgrounds although we were with each other for 9+ months.

I shuddered as I thought about that. The guy version of me sitting on the other side of the half circle shared the same womb with me for 9 months, yet I barely knew him.

We looked alike for being two different genders, but I wasn't really sure if we acted alike. I've known the guy for a whole four hours now, and although we were practically strangers, I was noticing that we could still talk to each other through our brains like most twins who actually grow up together.

His Facebook picture worried me when I first found his page. It was a picture of him and some chick in a short-ass red dress sitting on his lap. He was smiling and she was giving the camera an intense glare.

I was worried that my brother would be a partier.

When Cole finally messaged me back, we talked for a few days and then he scheduled a time a few days later (aka today) to fly out to New York. So now here he is with me in New York and there he is right now chatting up Niall's friends and laughing along with them.

Speaking of Niall, I was still worried about where he had disappeared. My head jerked away from my brother and I anxiously looked around the crowded place, although I had already lost him minutes ago.

"Luke took him outside." The Australian next to me said.

My shoulders slumped and I slowly leaned back against the couch. "Do you know how long Luke will keep him out there?" I looked up at him and he shrugged while throwing his arms along the backside of the couch.

"I don't know. Luke was going to talk to him about something kind of serious."

I pursed my lips as I thought about this a little more. "How do you know that it's serious?"

"Because Luke text me about it." He stated like it should be obvious.

"So what are they talking about, then?"

It was his turn to purse his lips as he looked away from me. He didn't respond for a moment and I opened my mouth to ask again when I was cut off. "You." He simply stated while making my heart skip a beat.