Chapter 55

*Alyssa's POV*

"So... where are they?" I asked as I entered their suite at a hotel a few blocks away. I looked back at Ryan as he was setting up a movie into the DVD player.

"Who?"

I started briefly walking around the darker hotel noticing that there was no life in it besides me and Ryan. "Our dads."

"Oh." Ryan's suddenly chipper voice made me look over at him as he stood up straight. "They went out to do some sightseeing. Decided to try a few wineries, since they were here, I guess."

I suddenly felt awkward just standing there while Ryan took a seat on the couch, watching me expectantly. "Oh," I replied. This would have been nice to know. "I see."

Ryan waved me over. "Come on. Sit down. I'll order us a pizza and some breadsticks. Does that sound good?" I walked over to the couch slowly and then took a seat on the couch so there was a whole cushion between me and Ryan.

"Yeah. Pizza sounds nice right now. What are we watching?"

I watched Ryan as he pulled his phone out of his pocket and looked through a tourist brochure, probably for a pizza place that delivers. "Taken 3," he answered and I nodded my head.

An hour and a half later, the movie was almost over and most of the pizza was gone besides maybe a slice or two and the breadsticks were completely gone. "Stewart looks younger in this one than in the one from the first Taken," Ryan said as he observed the actor.

"Yeah," I agreed. "I see what you mean."

Within a few minutes, the movie was over and Ryan was getting up to turn off the movie. "So? Did you like it?" Ryan asked putting it back into the Red Box case.

"Yeah," I stretched and started getting up so maybe I could go home. "The first one will always be my favorite though, hands down." Ryan nodded his head and the conversation died again.

"So." Ryan said as he plopped down on the cushion that had been separating us for the last hour and a half. He was a little too close for my comfort so I scoot over to my other side a bit. "What should we do now?"

I looked out the window and saw that it was starting to get a little dark, but the sun was still out a little. "I don't know. I should probably be getting back to the hotel soon. I have to work in the morning." In all honesty, I could have stayed for a few more hours, but I just really didn't want to. I never excepted going on a date with Ryan, anyways, which is what I was starting to feel was what was supposed to be happening. I even tried paying for half of the bill when the pizza came but Ryan wouldn't let me.

Ryan laughed and nudged me a bit. "Come on, Alyssa. Let's do something!"

I chuckled and gave him a clueless look. "Like what?"

"I don't know! Something fun!" He scoot a little closer to me again and my smile once more vanished. I just sighed and looked back out the window. I wasn't comfortable with him sitting this close. That was Niall's spot next to me, not Ryan's, and I wasn't okay with him thinking it was okay to force himself into my personal space. Especially when I just told him about two hours prior that I was in love with another man.

I just sat there for a few seconds without saying anything, and for those few quiet seconds, it felt incredibly awkward. I was about to open my mouth and suggest that I head home again when Ryan opened his mouth first, but I wasn't prepared for what he had to say at all.

"You're beautiful," he finally whispered, breaking the silence. My whole body froze and it took all the strength I had to look over at him.

"What?"