You're Not My Favorite

the ages are off in this but shhh no one has to notice

---

Your first grade class was being "babysat" by Jungkook's fifth grade teacher. You didn't have an assignment and since it was near the end of the day, the teacher announced to her students that they could have free time until pick up. It was too cold and rainy to go play outside, so the students began to scatter and pull out board games or gather their things, or even get a head start on their homework.

You and your friends were sitting in a little circle by the backpacks. You all sat with your legs crossed and turned to each other. "So what are we going to talk about?" one girl asked. "My new earrings?" She pulled back her hair and showed off her tiny, fake diamond studs.

"No, that isn't interesting," another girl replied. She looked at you. "How many brothers did you say you had?"

You didn't notice that Jungkook had to collect his lunch box and bag behind you. "Seven."

"Wow," one girl awed. "I only have two."

"Who's your favorite?" the first girl asked, sitting up but quickly making sure her earrings were still showing.

Jungkook glanced your way. Obviously me. Right?

"That's a hard choice," you said. "You're not supposed to have favorites."

"Sure you are!" the girl insisted. "See, my right earring is my favorite because it shines more than the left."

"Well..." you thought, giving in to her nagging. "I guess Jin."

Oh, well, obviously, Jungkook thought. I think he's probably all our favorite, so I'll give you that one, sis.

"Who's next?" the girl continued to prod. "You have to name all of them."

You felt bad about doing this, but you sighed. "Them maybe... uh, Jimin. Because he's really nice. He ties with Hoseok for second. They're both nice and happy."

Me next, right?

"And then Tae, since he always plays with me.

"Then Yoongi, because he snuggles me when I want him to, but he's strict sometimes and he likes being by himself.

"And then Namjoon. He's nice, but he's really shy and doesn't really talk much."

The girl that had asked you about your brothers looked at her fingers. "That was only six."

You looked at her. "Who did I leave out?"

Jungkook swallowed. Even though he was just a fifth grader and knew that little kids always spoke their minds and didn't care about the emotions of others, he was still hurt by your words. Not only was he the last on your list, but you also couldn't even remember him. He huffed and zipped up his backpack, slinging it over his shoulder.

You looked behind you at the ruckus and made eye contact with your youngest brother. He shot you a glare before turning and walking back to his seat. "Oh, Jungkook." You blinked. "Wait, he's not my least favorite. He always lets me play with him when I want to and when I have a nightmare, he snuggles me. None of them are my least favorite. They're all my most favorite."

The bell rang and your group began to disband and grab your backpacks that your teacher had made you pack before she left. You went and grabbed your bunny themed backpack before going to reunite with your brother. But when you looked around, you couldn't find him. "Kookie?" you called out, confused as to where he might have gone. He always waited for you. You scrambled out into the busy hallway and tried to push yourself through the crowd of elementary kids.

"(Y/N), you forgot your coat," you heard someone say. You looked back, hoping it was Jungkook, but it was his teacher instead.

"Oh, thank you," you murmured, slipping your backpack off so she could help you pull your puffy coat on.

"What's wrong?" she asked. As a teacher and mother, she could tell when a child was in distress.

"I can't find Kookie-oppa," you sniffled, beginning to cry.

"Oh, its okay," she soothed. She stood from her kneeling position and grabbed your small hand. "Let's go look for him."

She led you back into the hallway and walked with her to the foyer where students were lined up to be picked up. "Do you know who's picking you up? Or are you walking home?"

You shrugged, your cheeks red and wet from your tears.

The teacher nodded and looked around before grinning. "I think I see him." You followed her through all the kids and soon, you saw your brother chatting with one of his friends by the wall.

"Kim Jungkook," his teacher called, causing the two boys to look up at her. "I believe your sister got left behind."

You broke free from her grasp and ran to your brother, colliding into his legs. You hugged him close as he told his teacher that he forgot she had been with him, thought that was a lie because he purposely walked out while your back was turned. He patted your head to show the teacher that he was happy you were back with him, but as soon as she left, he pushed you away.

"Why don't you go to your favorite brothers?" he snorted.

You looked up at him. "You're my favorite," you replied innocently. "Everyone is my favorite. But I like your snuggles the most." The once again hugged him, and he didn't push you away this time.

"But I heard you and your friends talking," he said. "You listed me last."

"But I said that everyone was my favorite," you said, confused. "I'm sorry I hurt your feelings."

Jungkook sighed before he picked you up. "You promise my snuggles are the best?"

You nodded, latching his pinky onto his.

Jungkook grinned, not being able to stay mad at you for long. He would just have to convince himself that it was a misunderstanding. He pecked your cheek before sitting you back down. "Well, you're my favorite, too, (Y/N/N)."

---