Mute

Requested by LanaaiaGurrl. I hope you like it and thank you so much for requesting! I really liked writing this tbh.

DISCLAIMER: this is a separate AU :))

It's also a wee bit emotional 

---

You handed your brother a notebook and he nodded. "Okay, we'll get some on the way home, alright?" You nodded, grinning, before snuggling into his shoulder. You quickly wrote "thank you" on the paper and showed it to your brother, who just whispered a simple "you're welcome."

Your brothers didn't know why you didn't speak. Your parents didn't, either, actually. Jin thought it might be due to the fact that you always got talked over when you were little, so you just shut up entirely, but he doubted that that was the case. So by the time you were three, you never bothered to speak a word to anyone. Your parents didn't force you since they were pretty open about letting their kids express themselves and be their own person, but it did worry them. Now, it's your brothers' problem. They also didn't force you to say anything and just let you keep to yourself.

When you could start writing just a little bit into kindergarten, your parents gave you a notebook to write your needs down, so you didn't have to use sign language at such a young age. From then on, you've carried a small notebook around with you with a pen and pencil clipped onto it. A bookmark laid between the pages to tell you where a clean page was, and little tab markers were placed on important pages. The first page had been ripped out of your very first notebook and was paperclipped to the front. It had your address, name, age, and other important information written on it. Jin had added onto it since your parents had. He had added your brothers' numbers and updated your school info and other stuff that had changed over the years.

Speaking about school, it was hard for you. Teachers got a little upset with you quite a bit, but some were more understanding than the majority and helped you out the best they could. Most of the students, however, weren't as nice. They made fun of you frequently, so you mainly ate in the bathroom or the office with the school's secretary. She was kind and didn't mind you coming in there to eat. In fact, she was the one who invited you, and you just kind of stayed in there ever since.

Some people liked to steal your notebook and look at all the pages. You would go to grab it, but they'd run off with it. Inside, you'd find mean comments they put on the side of some of the pages where you were talking to a sibling. Your notebook was a private thing, and when they invaded it, it made you really upset. You'd start crying sometimes and they'd just laugh even more because they knew you couldn't stand up for yourself. They'd also use up a lot of the pages you had by writing rude things and telling you to do awful things.

One day, one of your siblings peeked in your room and watched you tear out a bunch of pages while you cried. He later came back and found the pages and told your other siblings what was going on. They comforted you and told you that it was okay – that they just didn't understand that they weren't considerate enough to think about how others feel.

You weren't entirely alone, though, since you had a couple good friends who stuck by you throughout the school day. You don't know what you'd without them since they're the ones who always manage to get your notebook back or ask the teacher something you're confused about.

You suddenly stopped taking your notebook to school. When Jin saw that your (F/Color) notebook was left at your bedside, he became concerned. Had you started talking at school? Or were the bullies just getting that bad? Either way, he was worried since you didn't really have a form of communication without it. Not everyone had a pen or a piece of paper on them to give you when they wanted to talk to you. So after a week of noticing that you were going notebook-less, he confronted the rest of his family.

"Has she been talking to your guys?" Jin asked, his tone laced with anxiety.

They all shook their heads. "Just as quiet as she has been for the past twelve years or so," Namjoon answered.

"Maybe she's designated one for just school," Taehyung thought, "so she doesn't have to worry about the one with all the private stuff in it getting stolen."

"He's not wrong," Yoongi agreed, playing with the spiral of the mentioned notebook.

Jimin laid his head in his hands. "Or do you think that she's just that upset over the people at school?"

"I can homeschool her if she's really that tore up," Jin suggested.

"Do you think the school would allow me to be with her all day?" Jungkook murmured. "Just shadow her everyday so no one picks on her."

Hoseok shrugged. "Maybe you can ask them. I don't think some people would mind. You could just sit at the back of the class and be there in case she needs something."

"Or if someone picks on her," Taehyung added, a few brothers nodding.

Jin sighed. "I just hope she's okay. How are we supposed to know if she's going through something? She can't just tell us like I could-"

"I'm okay."

The boys quieted, hearing an unfamiliar voice. It was feminine and a little shaky, like it wasn't used to talking so loud. Or at all.

They all turned their heads to the entrance of the dining room to see their little sister in tears. The sleeves of her sweater were longer than her arms, so she was using the extra fabric to wipe away her tears. Her eyes were red and puffy as a result, and her lips quivered with her sobs. "I... I'm okay."

It was an immediate reaction for all your brothers to bolt out of their seats and hug you as tightly as they could. You could barely breathe in their embrace, but you didn't mind at all. The love was just overwhelming, and you didn't want to budge anytime soon.

Namjoon pulled back, the others following his actions. "How... When did this happen?"

You opened your mouth but then quickly closed it, making a sour face through your tears. Taehyung seemed to read your mind and grabbed the notebook that had been on the dining room table. You flipped it open to a blank page and got your pen ready to write something. However, your pen remained just a centimeter above the white page, a little shaky in your grasp.

"Go ahead and write, honey," Jimin cooed. "Your own timing. Remember?"

You looked through teary eyes at Yoongi, recalling the memory of the bullies at school. Your brother only smiled. "Your own timing."

You hesitated to write your explanations down on the paper in front of you. Jungkook only rubbed your shoulder. "Your own timing, sis."

"Your own timing, kiddo" Namjoon muttered after you shook your head due to your frustration with yourself. You just couldn't grasp why you were the way you were.

"I'm done with... timing myself," you answered, writing those words down as you said them and Taehyung wrapped his arms around your neck.

"Princess," he cried into your sweater. Hearing your voice was not only a relief to him, but to the others as well. Even to yourself, to be honest.

You quickly wrote something else down and your brothers read, "Do I always have to talk now?"

"If you wanted, you could never speak another word in your life ever again," Yoongi grinned.

"This moment is enough," Jin noted, sighing.

You wrote something else down below what your brothers had just read. "Maybe just at home sometimes."

"Do whatever you want to, sis," Jungkook told you, a small smile present on his lips.

The other agreed with him, still not over the high you had given them after speaking. And you don't think they ever got off it until years down the road.

---

i hope you like it as much as i do :))