37

Thirty Seven

Gina's POV

Its my last day in LA and I wanted to talk to Cam alone just to see how she was really doing as I know she doesn't like to share things sometimes especially in front of everyone.

"Cam, do you want to come with me for a walk? Maybe we can go to Lemonade and get a lemonade to drink on our way back." I asked.

"Sure Mum." Cam replied as she stood up.

Cam and I walked out of the house and started walking down the street.

"Mum." Cam said breaking the silence.

"Yeah baby." I replied.

"I understand now." Cam told me.

"Understand what?" I asked.

"Why you wanted me to come here. Even if I didn't know it then, I know now it was for the best." Cam replied.

"I just wanted to protect you Cam." I replied.

"I know Mum. Getting out of Melbourne has been the best thing for me, being her in LA with the boys and being in New York studying. Its what I needed." She replied making me smile.

"I think if I hadn't I would have got stuck. I wouldn't have been able to look forward to the future and be excited, I think I would have stayed lost. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for Tash and Ty but I think if I was still in Melbourne it would have hurt -" Cam continued before I interrupted her.

"What happened with Tash and Ty?" I asked.

"They got engaged which is great because they both deserve happiness." Cam told me.

"Wow." I replied.

"Don't get me wrong, I do miss Melbourne because you and the rest of the family are there but I don't think it was a good place for me after everything happened...after Mason died." Cam finished making me proud.

"You know Cam I love you and I'm so proud of you." I told her hugging her in the middle of the street.

"I love you too Mum." Cam replied.

"Right lets go in and get a lemonade." I said as we got outside of Lemonade.

Cam's POV

I was glad Mum and I talked as I wanted her to know I understood why she thought getting me out of Melbourne was important after Mason died.

We walked into Lemonade and stood in line waiting to be served.

"Hi, what can I get you?" the server asked.

"Can we have a sugar-free watermelon rosemary and a..." I trailed off

"A cucumber mint lemonade thanks." Mum finished off.

"That will be $6.00." the server said as I handed over the money.

"They won't be long."

"I would have paid Cam." Mum said as we waited.

"It's fine Mum." I replied.

"Here we go." The server said as I grabbed our drinks, handing Mum hers.

Mum and I started walking back to the house, enjoying our lemonade.

"I can't believe you're leaving tonight." I said to Mum.

"I know, its gone so fast." Mum replied.

"I think I'm going to head back to New York a bit earlier than I planned too actually." I told Mum.

"Why's that?" Mum asked.

"I just want to get ready for the new school year and that." I replied.

"I've never heard you so focused on school before." Mum replied laughing.

"I know but I'm really enjoying it." I replied laughing with her.

"I'm glad. Is there anything else I should know?" Mum replied.

"Not that I can think of." I replied just as we got back to the house.

***

A FEW HOURS LATER

"Right that's my taxi." Mum said grabbing her bag as the moment I'd been dreading had finally arrived.

"I've got that Mum." Beau said getting Mum's suitcase.

"Thanks Beau." Mum said as she walked out following Beau, with the rest of us following behind them.

We got to the top of the driveway, where the taxi was waiting and Beau was putting the suitcase in the trunk.

"Bye Gina." Mariam said hugging her followed by Ronnie, Jacob, James and Daniel.

"Bye Mum. Love you." Beau said hugging her as I started to tear up.

"Love you too baby." Mum said to Beau.

"Love you Mum have a safe flight." Luke said before hugging her.

"Love you." Mum replied as I wiped my face.

"I love you Mum. Say hi to Nonna and Nonno for us." Jai said before hugging her.

"I will. Love you too Jai." Mum replied before Jai stepped back.

"Come here Cam." Mum said opening her arms for me. I hugged her, as tears poured down my cheeks before Mum pulled me back by the shoulders to face her.

"I love you." Mum told me.

"Love you too." I replied hugging her again before finally letting her go.

Jai grabbed my wrist, gently pulling me towards him and hugging me. I turned around, moving to the side, Jai leaving an arm around my waist still holding me close as I wiped under my eyes, watching as Mum got into the taxi and it pulled away.

"Come here Cam." Beau said as he held his arms open and hugged me.