Seven

Seven

Cam's POV

I haven't slept much, I've spent the night staring up at the ceiling, tossing and turning trying to get comfortable and not to think about today. In the next few hours, the driver who killed Mason will be sentenced. I got up and picked out what I was going to wear today even though it was only just after 5am; I ended up a black and white skater dress with leather look tights, black heels, a dark blue detailed blazer with a little of jewellery and a bag. Once I'd picked out what I was going to wear; I decided to get showered and ready. After I was finished getting ready, I decided to leave the house, even though it was still early.

I walked through the house, and Mum was still asleep on the couch, I quickly scribbled a note telling her that I'd be out for the day before leaving and making my way to the train station.

It was just after 7am when I got into town. I walked into Starbucks, needing coffee and even though I felt sick to my stomach. I quickly ordered grande size Caffe Americano and took a seat waiting for it to be ready. After I got my coffee, I walked out, slowly making my way towards the courthouse; my nerves increasing as I got closer. I reached the courthouse and sat outside, drinking my coffee and preparing myself for what was about to happen as everyone else arrived.

It was time, I walked into the courthouse and took a seat just as he was bought in.

"Andrew Patterson, you have plead guilty to a number of charges including careless driving causing death." The judge told the room "And due to the guilty plea, we are here to sentence you today." He finished.

"Your reckless disregard not only for yourself but others lead you to be here today. You not only killed Mason Jones but you also injured Camden Brooks but you also hurt a number of people by your actions by the loss you have caused. A guilty plea doesn't mean that your sentence will be lesser and as far as I am concerned you have not shown any remorse for your crimes or to your victims or their families or even learned from your previous encounters with the law, you have to take responsibility for your actions and that is why I order you, Mr Patterson, to serve ten years with five years non-parole in prison." The judge stated.

As soon as the sentence was handed down, I walked out of the courtroom, feeling upset and angry and continued walking.

***

I ended up outside the graveyard, it's the first time I've been here since the funeral, I bought a small bunch of flowers and continued walking in until I was at Mason's grave. I sat down beside his grave, placing the flowers beside the stone.

"Hi Mas, sorry I haven't been here since the funeral but I just couldn't bring myself too. I went to the court and saw what the man who killed you was sentenced too - I'm sure you know already but he got ten years, five of those are non-parole. It doesn't bring you back though." I paused as I started to cry.

"I'm angry and hurt Mas. I'm angry that he didn't get longer but I know that hating him isn't going to bring you back or make it better but I still do." I carried on as the tears rolled down my cheeks.

"I miss you, I miss it all. I'd give anything to change something from that night. I keep going over it in my head, thinking if we'd taken longer to get ready or we'd sat longer at dinner that maybe we wouldn't be here, maybe I'd still be in your arms or have your lips on mine but I don't, instead I'm sitting here talking and no one is replying." I continued.

***

"I'd thought you'd be here." I heard Tash say as I sat watching the sunset from beside Mason's grave, as she sat beside me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Tash.

"I wanted to see how you were doing considering what happened this morning in the court. Oh...here I bought you a Mocha and a fruit salad because I guessed you wouldn't have eaten." She replied as she handed me the coffee and fruit salad.

"Thanks." I replied

"So what do you think of the verdict?" Tash asked cautiously.

"Its not enough, but then again I don't think any sentence will ever be enough really." I replied honestly.

"And how are you doing?" Tash asked.

"I don't know." I replied

"Cam, you know whatever you need, I'm here." Tash replied

"All I know is that I don't know how to get past this." I replied.

"C'mon I'll drive you home, its getting cold and dark." Tash told me as she stood up. I followed her and stood up as we walked to her car.

***

Gina's POV

I heard the door open then close, as I sat in the kitchen drinking a cup of tea and waiting for Cam to get home.

"Cam" I half-yelled, I heard footsteps make their way towards the kitchen.

"Hi Mum." Cam said as she appeared in the doorway.

"We need to talk." I told Cam.

"Can I get changed before we do?" Cam asked knowing I was serious.

"Sure babe." I replied.

Cam turned around and walked off, going to get changed. Before long, Cam walked into the kitchen in jeans and a sweatshirt and sat opposite me.

"How are you after today?" I asked

"I'm fine." Cam replied

"I have some news. I've decided that in a few weeks you will be heading to LA to see the boys; now before you say anything, I don't know how long it will be but I feel leaving for a while would be best for you. I've organised for you to do your exams before you leave and you will have a work and study visa so you can do anything while you're over there." I told Cam firmly.

Cam looked at me before she got up quickly, I followed her outside.

"Cam" I yelled.

"So your plan is to send me away; it won't change anything." Cam yelled before she continued walking down the street. I didn't follow her instead leaving her to calm down.

Comment and vote :)