Chapter 13 - Donny

Philip passed through the back door, as Donny unsuccessfully tried to slam it shut. The enormous lieutenant kicked the door with such force Donny went flying backwards. The Irishman crashed into a table with chairs on top of it and sent the lot flying to the ground. By the time he regained his balance Philip struck him in the jaw with a heavy punch. Donny picked himself up and wiped the blood away from his mouth and spat some on the floor, he started dancing around like a boxer with his guard up.  Philip moved in closer and Donny landed a few quick punches on him, but they had little effect on the giant.

  The lieutenant kneed Donny in the stomach and dropped him to the floor; the Irishman was winded and had no other option but to cover his face, Philip took advantage and started laying kicks into his stomach. Donny uncovered his face to stop the onslaught and Philip lifted him off the ground like a ragdoll and hit him in the face.

  Donny threw a fast combination of punches catching Philip by surprise. The giant loosened his grip allowing Donny to get free, and get closer to the baseball bat. It was punch for punch, Philip was just too overpowering though and he was steadily gaining the upper hand. He absorbed every hit Donny through with barely anything to show for it.

  The Irishman finally made it back to the bar and grabbed the bat with shaky hands. He took a swing and connected with Philip’s arm; a second swing saw the bat in Philip’s hands. The lieutenant turned the bat on Donny and cracked him in the leg. Donny fell to the ground in a world of pain and Philip continued his assault. Donny hear the bat hit the floor as the giant tossed it aside; he felt the huge hands wrap around his throat and begin squeezing the life out of him.

  Everything was fading to black and it was nearly over until Philip stumbled off him. Samuele was standing strong with baseball bat in hand. Philip turned on the young soldier and was struck again when he kept advancing Samuele ditched the bat and pulled out his gun.

  “Get the fuck out now!” Samuele said.

  “I’m going to fucking kill you next time.” 

  As soon as Philip was outside Samuele locked the door again, and made a phone call to Alonzo Junior telling him to get there as soon as possible.

  “Hang in there,” Samuele said, looking behind the bar for painkillers; he found some along with a bottle of Donny’s favourite scotch.

  Donny moved his head slightly to look at Samuele and then closed his eyes. Samuele lifted Donny’s head up onto his lap and fed him the painkillers and washed them down with liquor; the Giuseppe method of temporary pain relief. Samuele was sure the Irishman had at least one broken bone; for someone who looked in such bad shape he certainly was tough.

  Donny still did not speak he just continued to gaze to the ceiling until Alonzo Junior arrived.

“What happened?” Alonzo asked.

  Samuele informed him that he came in and found Donny being beaten to a pulp by Philip.

  “Where were you?”

  “Getting fucking cigarettes. We got to get this guy to a hospital,” Samuele said.

  Alonzo helped Samuele carry the wounded Donny to the car out back and laid him down along the back seat.

  Samuele gave Alonzo Junior the mission of checking Donny in and standing guard over the injured Irishman; Samuele had to get back to Willows and clean the place up, plus the task of informing the others.

  Albert threw a coffee mug which shattered into tiny pieces everywhere as it hit the kitchen wall. The captain’s stood silent along with Sin and Samuele; the rest of the soldiers including Mike were outside.