Chapter 10 - Chuck

Alonzo Junior woke up freezing with his head spinning; he was on the floor in Sin’s unit. Samuele was out cold on the couch wrapped up in a cocoon of warm blankets. It was still dark outside, the clock on the wall indicated it was four o’clock in the morning.

  “Prick,” Alonzo muttered, trying to steal one of the blankets. After a several attempts at trying, his head could not take anymore. The young associate made his way to the balcony as fast as he could and managed a lethal spew over the edge. He felt slightly bad about the people on the levels below; hopefully the rain would wash away any evidence.  

  The outside table was full of mementos from only hours ago; half smoked cigars, dozens of empty beer bottles, bullets, cards, phones, and a half eaten pizza. It all only made his head worse. 

  Alonzo Junior managed to drag himself back inside to raid the house for blankets, or even better, a nice comfortable warm bed. The first door he opened revealed Sin, under the cover of blankets with a young woman, he shut the door again as quietly as possible. He thought the jackpot had been hit as entered the next bedroom only to find his cousin Salvatore in the bed.  “Asshole.”

  Alonzo raided the cupboard until he found the linen, “No more blankets? Tight ass,” he groaned to himself, settling for a few sheets. Alonzo wrapped himself up and tugged a pillow out from under Samuele and took refuge on the floor again. His head had stopped spinning; the spew had cured his sickness, now he thought about how lucky he was at this moment. He had looked up to the guys for as long as he could remember and now, he was hanging out with them. The only thing separating them all now was him not being inducted into the family.

  By midday everyone was finally awake and Alonzo Junior was cleaning up the apartment, one of the tasks inherited by an underling. “So when are we going to start doing these extra jobs?” Samuele asked Sin.

  “As soon as possible, but I’ve had a slight change of thought,” Sin said, rubbing his eyes as he waited for the painkiller to kick in.

  “Change of thought?” Salvatore asked, his rejuvenation method was to have another beer.

  “I don’t want to just do hold ups and petty scams to businesses and such. We will target only Chuck’s guys. That way we’re killing two birds at one stone, we get a little more money Chuck loses a little.”

  “To our new leader,” Salvatore held up his beer bottle.

  “Salute,” Samuele joined in.

  Sin appreciated the support of the guys, but now was not the time, “Thank you, I’m not a captain yet though.”

  “Give it time,” Samuele said.

  “It is obvious uncle Al is grooming you for something,” Salvatore agreed.

  Once the place was clean the four of them sat around flicking through channels on television whilst discussing their plans.

  Sin’s work phone rang, “Hello? Okay we’ll be ready.”  

  “What’s up?” Samuele asked.

  “Harold is meeting with Chuck today…he’s going to get us a location." 

  “Your time to shine Alonzo,” Salvatore smiled.

  Alonzo had the most important task of all; he had to be the one to kill Chuck. It would be the high profile target he needed to get recognized by the other captains, and to get made.

  Harold walked steadily with the aid of his walking stick; two of Chuck’s cronies stood either side of the remarkable entrance to Chuck’s hang out. He had purchased an entire office building and renovated the entire lot within a year. Naturally he hired construction companies not affiliated with the Giuseppe Family. The two cronies were suited gangsters and looked like regular office workers, as Harold approached they cautiously walked toward him. They moved their jackets aside a little so he could see they were armed. It did not phase him the slightest, Harold had dealt with worse then these two punks.