Chapter 6 - Progression

Taxi’s filled the street; dropping off partygoers, who scrambled for nearest cover from the rain. Lightspree Avenue was jammed with people every night of the week. It must have been the only place recession proof; no matter how bad the economy, people always found ways to drink, gamble, smoke, and pay for women.

Separating a strip club called Prowl, and a Nightclub called Tony’s, was a small tobacco shop Rolled. Sin, Salvatore, Samuele, and Alonzo Junior had all dressed their best to go out. Albert had stopped by to let the Giuseppe crew that Samuele would be joining them; they welcomed him like a brother.   

“This place is a fucking circus,” Albert took one last puff of his cigar and tossed it to the ground, out front of Carlos’s shop, “Stay out of trouble tonight kid,” he patted Sin on the shoulder.

“Of course Al,” Sin was excited to be hanging around the boys tonight.

 Mike flagged a taxi down, and held the door for Albert to get in first, to take them to the car a few blocks down.

Alonzo Junior was manning the shop; until Vincent came back from his break, he looked at his reflection in the glass cabinet housing all different cigars, smoking utensils, lighters, and other assorted items.

 “Don’t worry about it, you look sharp,” Salvatore laughed.

The three of them were waiting impatiently for the youngest to finish so they could go inside Tony’s nightclub.

“It feels like forever since I’ve been out,” Sin tugged at his sleeves.

“Vin is back!” Samuele called, as he caught sight of the worker pushing a trolley of goods; weaving through all the people.

Alonzo Junior was out of the shop before his replacement had even got inside; the four of them walked straight by the large line up outside Tony’s. The bouncers knew who they were; waiting was for customers anyway.

“Samuele, Sin,” one of the overweight bouncers nodded, letting them through.  

Inside was dark lit up only by flashing lights; flicking everywhere from the ceiling.  Pretty women were everywhere dancing, flirting, drinking, bumping, and grinding; while all the wannabes, and schmucks tried their luck.

One beautiful blonde winked at Sin; he did not return the flirt, but instead winked at another girl behind her, causing the blonde to turn around in disbelief.

“My shout,” Sin pulled out a wad of cash.

“No,” Samuele pushed down Sin’s hand, “It’s Alonzo Juniors shout.”

Alonzo Junior’s excitement faded a bit; being the only non-inducted member of the group it was expected of him.

 “Alright,” he pulled out a much smaller bundle of cash, and pushed through the tight crowd to the bar. 

“What took you so long? I’m fucking thirsty,” Samuele grabbed the drink off the trey, as soon as Alonzo Junior put it down. 

“Tony must be making truckloads of money with this place,” Salvatore was always thinking business.   

“Probably, until it gets hit,” Sin sipped on his beer. 

“By who?” Alonzo Junior asked.

“The Koreans,” Salvatore informed him.

The four young men stood around their table making wisecracks, and trying to decide which group of girls to talk to. Sin was observing everybody in the crowd; looking for any signs of unwanted attention.