Chapter 5 - Harold

Inside the small coffee shop Albert and Mike awaited the arrival of Harold, the only other people inside was the girl that worked there and her boyfriend. Albert watched the two laugh and talk; the girl had a blue streak running through her hair. The young man would occasionally throw glances around as if on his watch for something; this reminded Albert of himself always looking out for an ambush, but these were just kids he reminded himself.    

Albert had given Benny the bump up on the advice of his consigliere Harold Premilli the oldest member of the family at eighty years old; Harold was smart and Albert always sought his council whenever he was unsure of himself.

Just like Harold predicted the maneuver had brought Benny in closer as hoped.

Harold Premilli walked toward Albert supporting himself on his walking stick; like Al he wore spectacles, but his hair was completely snow white. Two weeks had passed since Leonardo’s disappearance and no police action or retaliation from Chuck.

“Hey Al.”

“Harold, how are you friend?” Albert gestured for Mike to pull a seat out for the old man.

“Good…good,” Harold took a seat and placed his walking stick against the table, “Where is your new boy?” he looked around for any sign of Sin.

“He’s walking around, making phone calls…his friend is MIA,” Albert shook his head.

“Chuck?”

“We don’t know,” Albert looked around for the waitress and noticed the girl sitting the boy across from them had a uniform on; she noticed and walked over to the table.

“Hi, how are you?”

“Good sweetie, can we get a round of cappuccino’s, and a serve of cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches,” Albert looked at Mike, “Make that two serves.”

 “No tomato on mine,” Harold warned.

 “Sugars in the cappuccinos?” she asked.

 “None in mine,” Albert said.

 Harold held up two fingers and Mike held up three. 

 Albert peered at her nametag that read Veena, “Thank you Veena.”

 Harold waited for the girl to walk away before returning to conversation, “Word is…he’s out for blood…that Leonardo thing set him off,” Harold leaned in closer and lowered his voice, “He’s even been approaching Rai for support.”

 “Rai?” Albert was a little shocked.

 “They both have a common problem…us.”

 Mike looked concerned, “Maybe we need a third guy?”

 Albert shook his head, “We're already scattered. What do you think Harold?”

 “Chuck’s got funds…Rai has an army.”

 “So does Chuck,” Albert reminded him.  

 Harold scratched his eyebrow, “And I’m sure it is far too late for making peace…it was escalating before all this.”

 “That’s true,” Mike agreed.

 Albert was starting to get a little frustrated, “Yeah so what do we do?”

 “We ride it out…go to the mattresses…the police are too preoccupied with whatever to intervene…half of them are on Chuck’s payroll…we decapitate Chuck’s organization…multiple strikes all in a week.”