Chapter 13

Sam said" Okay, I think I found a way we can bypass that construction just east of here. We might even make Pennsylvania faster than we thought."
Dean said" Yeah. Problem is we're not going to Pennsylvania."
" Wait, what?"
" I just got a call from an old friend. Her father was killed last night. She thinks it might be our kind of thing."
" What?"
" Yeah, believe me, she never would've called, never, if she didn't need us. Come on. You coming or what?" Sam got into the car.
———
Dean was driving down the road,
Sam said" By Old friend, you mean..."
Dean said" A friend that's not new."
" So, her name's Cassie, huh? You never mentioned her."
" Didn't I?"
" No."
" Yeah, we went out."
" You mean you dated someone? For more than one night?"
" Am I speaking a language you're not getting here? Dad and I were working a job in Athens, Ohio. She was finishing up college. We went out for a couple weeks."
" And? Look, it's terrible about her dad, but it kind of sounds like a standard car accident. I'm not seeing how it fits with what we do. Which, by the way, how does she know what we do? You told her. You told her the secret. Our big family rule number one, we do what we do and we shut up about it. For a year and a half, I do nothing but lie to Jessica, and you go out with this chick in Ohio a couple of times and you tell her everything? Dean!"
" Yeah, looks like."
———
I was leaning against Dean's leg, my hand holding onto his jacket, we were standing in a newspaper place.
Cassie said" Dean."
Dean said" Hey, Cassie." They stared at each other," This is my brother, Sam. I'm sorry about your dad."
" Yeah, me, too."
—-
We were at Cassie's,
Cassie said" My mother's in pretty bad shape. Ive been staying with her. I wish she wouldn't go off by herself. She's been so nervous and frightened. She was worried about dad."
Dean said" Why?"
" He was scared. He was seeing things."
" Like what?"
" He swore he saw an awful looking black truck following him."
Sam said" A truck? Who was the driver?"
" He didn't talk about a driver, just the truck. He said it would appear and disappear. And in the accident, dad's truck was dented like it had been slammed into by something big."
" Thanks. Now, you're sure this dent wasn't there before?"
" He sold cars, always drove a new one. There wasn't a scratch on that thing. It had rained hard that night. There was mud everywhere. There was a distinct set of muddy tracks from dad's car leading right... to the edge where he went over. One set of tracks, his."
Dean said" And the first person killed was a friend of your father's?"
" Best friend, Clayton Solmes. They owned a car dealership together. Same thing, dent, no tracks. And the cops said exactly what they said about dad, he lost control of his car."
" Can you think of any reason why your father and partner might be targets?"
" No."
Sam said" And you think this vanishing truck ran him off the road?"
" When you say it aloud like that... listen, I'm a little skeptical about this ghost stuff or whatever it is you guys are into."
Dean said" Skeptical. If I remember, I think you said I was nuts."
" That was then. I just know that I can't explain what happened up there, so I called you." Then the door opened," Mom. Where have you been?"
A woman said" I had no idea you'd invited friends over."
" Mom, this is Dean, a friend of mine from... college, and his brother, Sam, and sister, Hazel."
" Well, I-I-I-I won't interrupt you."
Dean said" Mrs. Robinson? We're sorry for your loss. We'd like to talk to you for a minute, if you don't mind."
" I'm really not up to that just now." She walked away.
——
I woke up, Sam and Dean were gone, I whined then got up, and walked to the table. Sam wrote a note,
We'll be right back, stay put, if you wake up before we're back.

I sat down on the bed and waited for them to come back,
—-
Once they came back, Dean and Sam hugged me, apologizing for leaving without waking me up first. Then they started getting dressed in their monkey suits.
Sam said" I'll say this for her, she's fearless." Dean hummed," Bet she kicked your ass a couple times. What's interesting is you guys never really look at each other at the same time. You look at her when she's not looking. She checks you out when you look away. It's just a.. just an interesting observation in a, you know, observationally interesting way."
Dean said" You think we might have some more pressing issues here?"
" Hey, if I'm hitting a nerve..."
" Oh, let's go." He walked away,
I said" Sammy, I think you're gonna get hit." Sam smiled at me and ruffled my hair,
He said" Maybe. I'll tell you if I do, and if I don't, I'll let you hit me for getting on Dean's bad side."
" Okay!" He kissed my head and followed Dean out, Dean ran back in and kissed my head,
He mumbled" Be good. We'll be back soon." Before running back to catch up to Sam and go to the impala.
———
Once Sam came back, I jumped to him and bounced around him.
He said" What is wrong with you?"
I said" Candy! Candy! Candy! I want candy!"
" God, you're already hyper, you don't need any candy for a week."
" Why?!"
" 'Cause then Dean'll kill me and lock you with handcuffs." I giggled and bounced around him till he stopped me by lifting me into his arms, I laughed and hugged his neck. He groaned and held me before throwing me onto the bed," Go to sleep or something."
" No!"
" Yeah, go take a bath, you stinky monster."
" You have to help me." I gave him the puppy eyes and he sighed,
" Fine, ya little jerk."
" Meanie head! I'm gonna tell Dean on you!"
" Go ahead." He smiled at me and ruffled my hair, before lifting me up and carrying me to the bathroom, He started the water then kissed my head. I took of my clothes then jumped into the bath, Sam laughed and walked out, leaving the door open.

Sam tucked me into bed,
He said" Do not touch the gun under Dean's pillow, alright? Don't kick it off either, sleep mover."
I said" Am not!"
" Are so, you've kicked me in the face at least 3 times before."
" No, I haven't."
" Yeah, you have."
" No!"
" Yeah, you have, Dean banned you from his bed and you had to sleep with me. You were knocked out, I had just laid down, you kicked me in the face since you were backwards."
" Probably."
" Yeah." He kissed my head," Go to sleep, baby girl."
" But De's not back yet." I yawned then rubbed my eyes.
" He'll be back soon, okay? I'll tell him to kiss you goodnight."
" Okay, promise?"
" Promise." I closed my eyes and quickly fell asleep.
————
Sam left, someone else died, but it didn't happen on the road.
Once he and Dean came back, Dean rushed to me and peppered my head in kisses, I giggled and pushed his face away. He handed me a candy bar, half of one,
He said" I got hungry, I pay you after this case, alright?"
I said" Okay, Dean-o."
" Never mind."
" No!"
" Fine."
" Sam called me a little jerk! He calls you a jerk, I'm nothing like you!" Sam chuckled then looked at Dean, smiling.
" Hey, I'm adorable. You are way more adorable than me, now, Sammy, there... is the ugly one of this trio, alright? And you are a little jerk, you're our sister." I giggled then looked at Sam,
Sam said" Thanks, Dean." Sam smiled though," Okay, short stack go play with your toys." I ran to my bag and pulled out my teddy bear and coloring books.

I felt like I was being moved, I hummed and started opening my eyes.
Dean said" Shh, shh, shh.. go back to sleep, kiddo." He started humming Hey Jude, my eyes closed again, he rocked me a bit. I fell back to sleep, listening to Dean's chest hum.

I was shaken awake,
Dean said" Hey, hey, wake up. Stay with Sam. Do not leave his side, I will be right back." He put me on the ground, Sam ushered me over to him, I walked to him and he held my arm as Dean drove away. Sam lifted me up and I held onto him, he rushed around and got on his phone, he bounced me with his arm, and talked on the phone. I was too sleepy to actually listen to what he was saying.

Once it was time to leave the town, I was playing with Sam's hair since he was in front of me. Dean was talking to Cassie outside the impala, I giggled as I knotted Sam's hair, I quickly unknotted it so Sam wouldn't be mad at me.
Once on the road again,
Sam said" I like her."
Dean said" Yeah."
" You meet someone like her, ever make you wonder if it's worth it, putting everything else on hold, doing what we do?" Dean only smiled at Sam,
" Why don't you wake me up when it's my turn to drive?" Dean let me cuddle into his side as he leaned back, the sunglasses covering his eyes.