Lazarus Rising Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

I let go of Sam, who looked on the verge of tears as he stepped forward and pulled Dean into a desperate hug. They embraced for several seconds, heavy with emotions, I turned away as I felt awkward being a part of an emotional family event. Sam pushed Dean back to arm's length. The Young Woman was looking on, looking confused.

"So are you two like...together?" she asked.

"What?" Sam asked "No. No. He's my brother,"

"Uh...got it. I...I guess. Look, I should probably go,"

"Yeah. Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Sorry," Sam, opened the door to let the Young Woman, out.

"So, call me,"

"Yeah. Yeah, sure thing, Kathy,"

"Kristy," she corrected disappointed.

"Right," she left, and Sam shut the door.

Sam came back into the room and sat down. Dean was standing above him, arms crossed. He and I were both looking at Sam suspiciously.

"So tell me, what'd it cost?" Dean asked

Sam smiled "The girl? I don't pay, Dean,"

I scoffed in disgust and turned away from Sam, missing the moment when his smile turned into a frown.

"That's not funny, Sam. To bring me back. What'd it cost? Was it just your soul, or was it something worse?"

"You think I made a deal?"

"That's exactly what we think," I told him

"Well, I didn't,"

"Don't lie to me," Dean said intensely.

"I'm not lying,"

Dean advanced "So what now, I'm off the hook and you're on, is that it You're some demon's bitch-boy? I didn't want to be saved like this,"

Sam stood, angrily "Look, Dean, I wish I had done it, all right?"

Dean grabbed Sam by the front of his shirt "There's no other way that this could have gone down. Now tell the truth!"

Sam broke Dean's grip "I tried everything. That's the truth. I tried opening the Devil's Gate. Hell, I tried to bargain, Dean, but no demon would deal, all right? You were rotting in Hell for months. For months, and I couldn't stop it. So I'm sorry it wasn't me, all right? Dean, I'm sorry,"

"It's okay, Sammy." Dean relented "You don't have to apologize, I believe you,"

"Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Sam's soul remains intact, but it does raise a major question," I pointed out.

"If he didn't pull me out, then what did?" Dean and I were now seated on the couch. Sam passed out bottles of beer, then sat across from Dean. "So what were you doing around here if you weren't digging me out of my grave?"

"Well, once I figured out I couldn't save you, I started hunting down Lilith, trying to get some payback,"

"All by yourself?! The least you could have done is call ever now and then let me know you're living...I had to use the Lone Gunmen to track you down!"

Dean saw something, frowned, and crossed towards it.

"Uh, yeah, I'm sorry, Max. I should have called. I was pretty messed up,"

Dean picked up what he'd seen...a pink flowered bra. He held it up "Oh yeah. I really feel your pain,"

"Anyways, uh, I was checking these demons out of Tennessee, and out of nowhere they took a hard left, booked up here,"

"When?"

"Yesterday morning,"

"When I busted out,"

"You think these demons are here because of you?" I asked

"But why?" Sam questioned

"Well, I don't know...some badass demon drags me out and now this? It's gotta be connected somehow," Dean said

"How you feelin', anyway?" I asked

"I'm a little hungry,"

I rolled my eyes "No, I mean, do you feel like yourself? Anything strange, or different?"

"Or demonic? Max, how many times do I have to prove I'm me,"

"Yeah. Well, listen. No demon's letting you loose out of the goodness of their hearts. They've gotta have something nasty planned,"

"Well, I feel fine,"

"Okay, look, we don't know what they're planning. We got a pile of questions and no shovel. We need help,"

"I know a psychic." I claimed "A few hours from here. Something this big, maybe she's heard the other side talking,"

"Hell yeah, it's worth a shot," Dean said.

I nodded "I'll be right back,"

"Hey..." Dean grabbed my hand and pulled me back towards him, kissing me. "I didn't get a proper one when I got back,"

I smiled as I headed for the door, passing Sam who watched silently.