Chapter 10 - Chuck

Start from the beginning

  “How are you today sir?” the man with the two-way in his hand asked, ever so courteously.

  “Good…boy. I’m here…to see Chuck.”

  The man did not being spoken to in a derogatory tone, but nevertheless he smiled and nodded, “I’ll see if I can get someone on the two-way for you sir, one moment,” the guard brought his radio to life, “entrance to reception,” he waited patiently.

  The radio crackled and a voice came from the other end, “Go ahead entrance,” a young woman said.

  The guard took his finger off the button, “Sorry sir, I did not catch your name,” he whispered.

  “Harold,” the old consigliere grumbled.

  “I’ve got a Harold here to see the boss.”

  “I’ve got a confirmation on that, send him up,” the bubbly woman replied.

  “This way sir,” the radio guard ushered the old man toward the door, being held open by the second entrance guard.

  Harold slowly followed, “Thanks,” he muttered to the doorman. Inside either side of the door metal detectors greeted them. The first guard walked through and they sounded off due to his weapon. Harold walked through next and the detectors went off a second time.

  “You carrying any weapons on you sir?” the guard asked.

  “Just…this one,” Harold held up his walking stick.

  “If you would like to hand me that and walk through again sir, that would be much appreciated.”

  Harold rolled his eyes and passed over his stick and walked through again this time they did not go off, “Happy?”

  “I’m always happy sir,” the man pointed towards the lifts, “If you would kindly follow me to the lifts and I can take you up.”

  “Fucking hell…it would be easier…to visit the president.”

   The guard pressed the up button outside the lift and they waited for it to be sent down from the top floor. With a friendly voice over greeting from the lift the two entered; the guard made sure Harold was inside first. It made a smooth ascent to the fifth floor of the building, the lift doors opened revealing a beautiful water feature wall lit up by spectacular down lights. A reception desk was to the left occupied by the beautiful woman who had confirmed Harold’s arrival. 

  A cleaner was moving around the room polishing the tiled floors with a rotor machine. The waiting area was extravagant with a coffee machine, plants, and luxurious couches giving it an ambient hotel feel. Two more suited guards manned a door at the far end of the office. One of the men on the front door went to approach Harold in an attempt for a body search, something he did to anyone before they entered.

“Go fuck yourself,” Harold said.

  “He’s clean,” the entrance guard confirmed.

  The doorman eyed Harold carefully and decided the old man was no threat. He nodded to his partner who took out a swipe card and opened the door.

  The room was immaculate; no expense had been spared. Chuck was comfortably sitting behind a large marble desk that sported a top of the line computer screen he was watching. He looked up from his desk and immediately stood up in respect for Harold.

  “Harold,” Chuck said excitedly, smiling for the first time in a long time. The drug lord walked around from behind his desk to greet the old man whom he still idolized.