Reckless - Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

“I’m not sorry about it at all.”

“I didn’t much appreciate the way that you treated me yesterday.” This time his voice was mocking, as if it had been a trivial matter and he didn’t mind or seek revenge. I knew that everything his voice implied was false.

“I daren’t say you did.”

He paused for a second, thinking about my bland answer, and then tried again, eager to taunt a longer, angrier reply out of me. “I hear that you’re going on a date this weekend.”

“I guess you did.”

“I don’t appreciate you dating other guys, Anne,” Chris said darkly.

“I don’t appreciate you spying on me, Chris. What I do in my spare time is none of your business, to be honest.”

“But it definitely is.”

I swerved away from him down another corridor. There were less people in this one – everyone having gone to get dinner or up to their dorms. I knew that in a few minutes the corridors would be mostly empty. Chris followed me.

Sighing, I stopped and turned to face the vampire. I couldn’t stand him following me any longer and the time I had spent with him told me that saying something angry or spiteful would only encourage him further. “Go away, Chris. Just… please.”

Chris grinned from ear to ear in one of the most unnerving facial expressions I had ever seen. “Now that’s the word I was looking for, Annie. Have you ever said please to me in your life?” he questioned.

“I daren’t say I have. Now go away.”

“I will today, Annie,” Chris said unexpectedly.

“Really?”

“Yes. I have better things to do right now. Places to go, people to see…”

I was surprised to see that when I nodded and strode off in the opposite direction, Chris didn’t follow me. He simply stood where I’d left him, looking at me with a half-smile on his face. I wondered how this guy could’ve been trying to kill me just a day before.

“Annie,” he called to me just as I rounded the corner. “I’ve thought of a way to gain your favour again.”

Somehow a death threat would’ve seemed less daunting than those words.

--

By Wednesday morning the vampire hunters had enabled every form of protection that they could on me without locking me in a prison cell – and if they’d actually been able to lock me in a prison cell, they probably would’ve without a second thought.

Blake had taken to turning up at school every day and trailing behind me in the corridors in what he thought as a ‘surreptitious’ way. Every time I asked him what the hell he was doing he would deny ever following me and say he was there for ‘his education’. Blake was probably the worst liar I had ever met. I had to wonder if he was even trying to conceal these things from me and if he thought I was really as stupid as the hunters were treating me right now.

I didn’t have a moment’s peace during the day thanks to Blake and at night, when I’d initially thought I’d finally escaped the watchful eyes of the vampire hunters, Hunter and Alex sat outside of my window. Sometimes I even saw the hunters weaving through the trees that marked the edge of the woods, watching for danger, and more than once I’d seen Hunter wondering the school corridors. It made me wonder how lax the schools security was, if a whole group of guys could infiltrate the grounds with what seemed like complete ease.