Reckless - Chapter Thirteen

I feel obliged to add an authors note at the start. So here it is. HUZZAH.

R E C K L E S S . . . 

CHAPTER THIRTEEN-

“Just checking – how do I kill a werewolf?”

“Already told you, use something silver. A bullet or knife would be best but anything that you can find which is pure silver will work.”

“What about a shape shifter? What would I use to harm one of them?”

“Use the same things as you use to kill a werewolf.” 

“Oh, okay.”

We were creeping across the school grounds, trying to stay as invisible as possible. We’d decided to stick to the dense woods at a small corner of the grounds, before sprinting to the building and trying to get in through a window or back door. I knew that my English teacher, Mr Laurel, would be waiting eagerly for me to return so he could punish me further for completely skipping his detention. There was no way in hell that I was going to give him that satisfaction, which meant I’d resorted to sneaking in.

Not that sneaking in was anything unusual for me, though.  

“How would I kill an elemental like Jev, then? Is it different for each element or the same basic things?”

“The same way as you’d kill a normal human being,” Blake replied. “Elementals are just humans with mutated DNA, some of them have a bit of the supernatural in their blood from being descended from much stronger creatures like shifters, but they can die just like any human.”

I allowed myself a small smile. “That’s good to know.”

We’d reached the edge of the wooded border and were as close to the building as we ever would be without being wide in the open. “Are you ready to run?” Blake whispered, though nobody could hear us. “Remember to keep your head down so they don’t catch you.”

Please.” I flicked my long blonde hair over my shoulder and braced myself to run. “I do this all the time.”

From the corner of my eyes I saw him roll his eyes. “Whatever you say…”

And then we were sprinting across the grass towards the crumbling, brown brick building. I was barefoot - since it was the choice of that or the bright pink pair of leather heels which me and my friends fondly called ‘the stripper shoes’ – but I still moved quickly and agilely towards our goal.

“We need to go this way round!” I told Blake, who was running alongside me, and we turned in the direction I was pointing.

We ended up at the side of the building, facing a rusty fire escape. I looked at the window two floors up and a good deal away from the fire escape.

Blake looked at me and saw what I was thinking in an instant. “Seriously?”

“It worked last time.” I shrugged and started to ascend its rickety staircase. I looked back as I slung the carrier bag I’d been holding onto my shoulder so I could climb easily. “You coming?”

“Maybe I better watch… be here to catch you when you fall and all that.”

“You say that like I’m going to fall.”

“There’s no way you’re going to make it there. The window isn’t even open.”

I shrugged again. “I’ll find a way around it.”