3: The Perfect Night for my Perfect Nightmare

Biya's POV

It was late when I got to go home. I was sad but at the same time excited that my task here was done. Elda went home first as some doctors talked to me saying that they wanted me back here once I was done. It made me happy that people wanted me back for my service. I love taking care of people.

"I'll see you soon, Biya! Good luck!" Adelzio, a nurse, bade goodbye. He gave me a brief hug before other staffs attacked me with their goodbyes.

"We'll miss you here, Biya!"

"We will haunt you down if you don't come back here." One teased making me laugh.

"We'll miss the fun that you always bring in the group, Beatrice." Doctor Camille said as she hugged me with a light pat on the back. Her name was Camille when it came to her friends but in the professional status, everyone called her Doctor Camilla.

"I'll be back here. I promise." I waved goodbye to them to which they returned back before we went to our ways. The security hailed a cab for me and I thanked him for that. As the driver asked where I was going, my phone beeped notifying me that I got a message.

"Wait a minute, sir." I told him and he just nodded before I read the text.

From: Unknown Number

Subject: Where are you?

I am waiting in the back.

It was Emil who texted and I never had the chance to put him in my contacts since I was still angry. A disappointed sigh escaped from my lips before I told the driver where to go.

"Please go to Il Migliore."

"Okay ma'am." He replied before he started driving. I tapped my phone again and replied him.

To: Unknown Number

Subject: I'm coming

My work is done. I am going there now.

After a few minutes, the driver pulled over just past the restaurant so I won't be noticed by anyone. I paid him with a great tip. He thanked me before he drove away. I put my black hoodie on as I began walking. My heart was pounding so hard as I went near the restaurant. I walked fast with my head down going unnoticed like a shadow in the midst of many people. When I arrived in the alley between Il Migliore and a boutique, a silhouette of a tall man stood in the middle a few meters away from me. I gulped an amount of air as I started walking to that dangerous path. I remember the times I walked here, sneaking in just to see the man I thought was a daydream but it turned out to be my nightmare. Right now, he was the perfect nightmare of this cold winter night. His figure was so familiar that if ever I have to identify a silhouette or a figure, I will easily pinpoint him. That was the hardest part of forgetting him. He was deeply embedded in my mind that I can't help but remember him every now and then. As light stroke his face, I wanted to cry again. How can he be so beautiful? Beauty described not in a feminine way but described because the word handsome won't even reach to his level. Silence enveloped us as we met and the cracking sound of my heart that I tried to put back again was all that I heard. I wanted to turn around and run away. I did not speak. I cannot. A big lump was stuck inside my throat.

"Beatrice." He breathed out my name and my gaze remained on the ground. His deep voice made me freeze. I tuck my hands in the pockets of my jacket trying to hide my clenched my hands tightly.

"Emilio." I replied back in the same formal manner. We had no connections now, this must be a formal conversation. I took a deep breath before I looked up with my chin held high showing him that I was unaffected by him anymore. I was lying to that, of course.

"Did you notice anyone following you here?" he asked with his face blank.

"No." He should not worry. I was an expert in hiding and sneaking in thanks to him.

"Okay." He sighed in relief. I wanted to chuckle at that but I remained passive.

"We need to talk about everything."

"Okay. Let's talk."

"You should not have called me your ex- fiancée if you are angry about it." He spoke and I scoffed.

"I thought we'll gonna be talking about hiding every trace of what had happened between us to people."

"I just wanted you to know that you shouldn't because I don't want you talking about that or even calling me that." Anger began boiling inside me again. I was angry because even now that he was not in my life, he's trying to control my life.

"Sure. Why not?" I said not giving care about it anymore.

"I have a request."

"What is it?"

"I need you to let my guards take care of you." I chuckled at that with a smirk on my face. Was he joking? He was totally joking, right?

"I'm sorry but this is not the time to play around, Emilio." I said with venom laced in each word. He frowned at me.

"I am serious, Beatrice." He retorted back at me. I rolled my eyes and I controlled myself from bursting into flames in front of him.

"I don't want your offer. My life, my business."

"It's not your life that is just affected here, Beatrice."

"Well, you are used to this kind of things. You can manage it on your own." I said and I saw a glint in his sapphire eyes.

"How about you?" he asked and he gave me no signs of what he was feeling. It was fine by me. As long as we don't feel interested about each other anymore, it was better.

"I will be fine. I will keep silent about it since I don't want to talk about it anymore. I will lie if possible." I said and I saw him clench his jaw. What was wrong? I thought that was fine by him. He didn't say a word for a minute so I decided to end the conversation between us. I sighed before checking the time on my wristwatch.

"Okay. It's late. Is that all?" I asked pulling my hoodie down securing it to place as the wind blew. I saw him nod before he replied.

"Yes."

"Okay then. I hope this will be the last time we'll be seeing each other alone. It's fine if we see each other with our friends though. Don't give a damn about me and our status. It's been long buried. Don't worry about it." I successfully spoke those sentences without stuttering or showing any emotion other than acting uninterested. After that, I turned around and began walking in a fast pace. I wiped my nose with my handkerchief as I sniffed. Damn this wintry night. I was glad I had a place to stay when a long time ago, I was in the streets and was trying to survive. I was glad that my Moretti family accepted me. I sniffed and I wiped my nose again. When a cab stopped in front of me, I sniffed again. I was alarmed that I could have caught a cold. As I entered the cab and gave my address, I lowered my head as I sniffed again. But then, droplets began falling on my jacket. Only then, that I have realized that I did not catch a cold. Instead, I was crying again.

"Are you okay, Signorina?" The cab driver asked me as he saw me crying. I wiped my tears then my nose.

"I am okay. Just please drive faster."

"Okay, Signorina." He said looking at me in the rearview mirror. I pulled my hoodie down for him to not recognize me or anything. I paid him and as usual, I gave a tip. I quickly nodded at the guard who smiled at me and I went straight to my room. As I closed the door, I sagged down on the floor as I covered my eyes. Tears trailed down my cheeks again as pain smashed my chest over and over again.

"How can I move on when I always remember you?" I whimpered as I hugged my knees and cried again. After a few minutes, I grew tired of everything and I just wanted to sleep until everything will be good again. I wish I can only wake up when everything was good again.

Follow me on Social Media

Wattpad: LittlePumpkinWriter

Twitter: @notsolilpumpkin

Instagram: anxielei