74: The Day Time Was Both a Friend and an Enemy

Emil's POV

Time was both a friend and an enemy. The anticipation for any news from the doctor was a torture I didn't want to experience again. Yet waiting for her bid me time to be logical and rational. Signore Paolo, his wife and Nyle were all in the couch still silent. I would occasionally hear Signora crying and praying silently. Hope clung in the air and it was something we all desperately needed today. I played my phone, contemplating on telling our closed friends and family what has happened.

"Can I tell her friends and my family what happened?" I broke the silence. Signore Paolo looked at me and silently nodded. I nodded back at him before going to the corner to send everyone I have contact with the text message.

Hey. I'm so sorry to tell you this but Biya has been in a terrible accident. We're in Salvare General Hospital right now and she's still in the operating room. We're waiting for any news. I'll keep you updated when there's any.

– Emil Carini

Once I sent the text to Gio, Gabriel, Elda, and my family, multiple messages immediately made my phone beep multiple times.

Gio: Sorry to hear the news, brother. Paolo told us earlier. Percyla and I are on the way. I'll see you all soon.

Gabriel: Hoping she'll be better soon. I heard the news. I'll come there now. Caralei also sends her prayers. She's in America right now. Call me if you need anything, bro.

Elda: WHAT?! Which suite room are you in? I'm in the pedia dept!

I was about to reply when my father's caller ID appeared on my screen. I took a deep breath, gaining the courage to speak about it and answered the call.

"Hey dad."

"Son! I'm so sorry to hear that. What happened?"

"Biya got into a car accident."

"Oh... We're sorry to hear that. Do you need us to come there? What room are you on?"

"Room 304."

"Was she the only one in the accident? How bad is it?"

"It's really bad, dad. We're hoping for some good news. She's been there for four hours now. Ronaldo came out of the surgery an hour ago but he's still being monitored."

"Damn. Have you talked to his family?"

"Marcus took care of it earlier. They're on their way." I heard him sigh.

"How about Biya's family? Have you talked to them?" He asked. Turning around to catch a glimpse of them, I noticed Paolo watching me as if he was listening to the conversation. I nodded at him before turning back.

"They're here with me."

"How are they holding up?"

"They're okay. We're all waiting for any news." He hummed before I heard the rustle of papers.

"How are you, son?" I went blank for a second. How am I? I tried to think how I was coping up and all I could think was this; I was pushing through this right now because of her. Nothing else. My mind went blank, unable to answer my father's question.