58: The Day We Found Peace in the Silence

Emil's POV

The day came with the comfortable silence between Biya and I. Last night, it felt like a part of us settled in a deep and comfortable place and it felt so good and right. I occasionally looked at her while we enjoyed coffee, her smile brightening my day. We were all in the kitchen waiting for breakfast to be ready. Nonno insisted on cooking us breakfast and so Biya, Elda and I sat patiently at the kitchen aisle waiting for him to finish cooking his so called great breakfast dishes which were eggs and bacon.

"How's work, Elda?" I looked at the girl on my right who didn't even bother combing her tangled hair. She stared at me as she sipped on her coffee and I heard Biya laugh on my left.

"Don't ask her questions about work when she just woke up, Emil. She'll kill you." She laughed again.

"Residency fucking sucks." Elda groaned slamming her mug on the marble table.

"Aaand here we go!" Biya threw her hands in the air before shaking her head chuckling.

"Hey! No negative vibes in the kitchen especially when it's morning, young lady." Nonno waved his spatula at Elda who just sent him a peace sign.

"Sorry gramps."

"Gramps?" Both Biya and I spoke at the same time, our eyes going at Nonno and Elda.

"What? He's like this old sensei you can find in temples. He's got good advice up in his sleeves. You should listen to him more, Emil. Might knock some sense into you." She only before drinking again.

"Well, he's stubborn brain can't do that, Elda. I might have to beat him with a stick to get some sense into him sometimes."

"Might have a lawsuit in our hands if you do that." She replied to him and he shrugged.

"Try suing me and see what happens." He turned to shoot me a look before turning around to continue cooking.

"Looks like you and Nonno are friends now."

"Oh yes! Elda's been a great company at dinner."

"Dinner? What happened to lunch?"

"She slept until 7 pm, Emil." Biya added and I raised a brow at Elda in disbelief.

"How do you even do that?"

"It's called Doctor's Sleeping Beauty regimen."

"There's no such thing as that." Biya retorted and Elda tipped her mug before downing it all.

"Well, it is now."

"How can you go back to sleep after that?"

"We need energy after dealing with patients, Emil. Not all of us are gifted with your endurance and with your overworking ass." Biya answered this time and I heard Elda thank her. Nonno only laughed at me.

"Okay. Okay. But why do you look like you're sick-"

"Like what?" I stared at Elda who looked like she still didn't have enough sleep with dark circles under her eyes.

"Like that." I pointed at her and Biya slapped me on the shoulder.

"That's rude, Emil."

"What is happening to you during your duty, Elda? You need rest for fuck's sake." Elda just flipped me the bird.

"Hey! No fuck you fingers in my kitchen either." Nonno scolded again.

"I'm in the pedia, Emil. Do you know how energetic kids can be? My saliva is basically coffee and energy drinks because of my work." She huffed and I couldn't help but laugh.