24: The Day I Had a Surprise in the OR

Biya's POV

The incessant ringing of my phone brought me to my most irritable state. I grabbed my phone and put it in silent mode. I was now at home in my family's house trying to get some sleep but I was unsuccessful because of Zeke. He has been calling me and he has so many voicemails containing his apologies and reasons. I don't want to talk to him right now. I was still shaken with what he has done in the hospital. Everyone in the hospital has been talking about what had happened in the office and Elda, being the protective friend that she was, almost got into Dottoressa O'brien's office to have a word with Zeke. I have to stop her because I don't want to cause any more problems because of my relationship.

"Where are you, Beatrice? I am so sorry for my behavior. Please talk to me."

"Please Beatrice. You are not in your apartment. Where are you? Let's talk, love. Please."

I don't want to hear him ask for forgiveness. He's been acting strangely overprotective when Emil came back. He has done this before. He doubted me when he learned I had a conversation with Emil in relation to my long lost brother. Now, he has done that again with more anger. He has promised he won't do what he has done because I got scared of him but he did it again. I had a feeling of fear before when he tried talking to me about not communicating to Emil that's why I hid the fact that he called when we planned for my meeting with my brother. Now, that fear grew bigger and the memories of me being alone in the streets terrified with the violent acts being committed at the streets and inside homeless families struck me like a bolt of lightning. I remember the moments I saw men beating their wives because they cannot do what they wanted them to do. I didn't want that to happen to me when I have my man. His possessive words terrified me because not only did his words work on me, his facial expressions reflected on what he had said. He meant it. I don't want to draw conclusions based on what I saw but I don't want to wait and let that happen. I have to do something about it. I don't want anything bad to happen. Zeke has been a wonderful guy to me and Geno. The man I have witnessed earlier was not him. He was somebody else.

A sigh escaped my lips as I contemplated whether I should talk to him right now or not. Though the memory was still fresh in my mind, I need to talk to him so that I can get the heavy feelings out. I should do this so I won't prolong any more what ifs I have in my brain and talking to him might lessen the anxiety I was feeling.

"Fine. Let's talk." I texted him and a second later, he called. I answered and I didn't talk. I waited for him to speak.

"Beatrice! Oh! Thank God! I'm so sorry for what I have done. I'm really really sorry. It won't happen again."

"Really? Because you did that before, you know." I reminded him. I heard him sigh.

"I'm sorry. Can you please forgive me? I miss you." I didn't fall for his charm this time.

"I cannot forgive you right now, Zeke. Can you please give me space?"

"O- of course. Just call me if you are ready to talk." I don't want to face you because I am afraid you will burst out again, I thought.

"Goodbye Zeke."

"I'm so sorry Beatrice." I ended the call and put my phone on the bedside table. Thinking about our relationship right now, it saddened me because I know to myself I won't see Zeke as the man I thought he was ever again. He was kind, loving, caring and understanding but as the months passed by, I have slowly peeled off his mask. He can be kind to people but he can also cruel when he wanted to. He would blame me for his mistakes and I would compromise because I knew that he was just tired of work. Thinking about it, our relationship was neither normal nor stable. We would go out on dates but that was it. We usually stayed at my apartment and just relax. Am I the bad guy because of my uncertainty with my relationship with him? It felt so wrong that I wanted to distance myself from him yet it felt right imagining myself being away from his tense world. My heart clenched realizing that I may have fallen too fast with him. Why? Why would I crave for love?