57: The Night My Blue Flames were Put Out

Emil's POV

I paced the dining area back and forth thinking how to face Martina with a straight face. I have gone home with Marcus briefing me that I should act normal tomorrow. Like nothing fucking happened? How would I do that? How would I face her when she's the reason why Biya got hurt so many times? I still can't believe it was Martina. It felt like I was having a nightmare but the headache I was having proved me wrong. Marcus drove me home and left me with a plan to catch Martina's allies. We both knew she wasn't working alone because it was impossible for her to pull this off all by herself. With the amount of work she had to do everyday for me, it was clear she had someone to threaten Biya in her place. Marcus went back to her office and put that cursed voice changer back in her cabinet to avoid any suspicion. The two men he was with when they discovered who she really was were also debriefed to shut their mouths until we have them all. As for me, I had to practice calming myself down before I could face her tomorrow. I was angry at her. No. I was beyond angry. The betrayal and hatred I had for her felt like knives stabbing me harshly on my back and my chest. I threw my tie on the floor and cursed.

"Fucking hell!" I huffed out before walking towards the balcony. The darkness loomed around me with only the light coming from the kitchen slightly glowing to where I was. I gripped the balcony railings tight, trying to control myself from shouting in rage. This was so hard. Fucking hard. How could she? Why would she even do that? I don't know anyone in her family. I haven't done anything to her except give her a job, salaries, bonuses, a fucking house and a car to express my gratitude towards her for doing so well on her job. She made me look stupid. The thought of her having fun just seeing me clueless and wrecked at the times I was in a deep dark hole on my breakup infuriated me to the core. I was seeing red with that thought.

"Emil? Oh my gosh! Emil!" I jumped at the sound of her voice. She's home. I quickly turned around to see her rushing to the kitchen to turn the stove off. Shit! I fucking forgot my vegetable soup!

"Shit!" I ran towards the kitchen and quickly took a pot holder and removed it from the stove. Seeing the soup now producing lots of steam and the ingredients overcooked, I knew it was ruined. Without a word, I dump it all in the sink and put the ingredients in the trash.

"Uhm.... Emil? Are you okay?" She asked in a soft tone, clutching the towel she pulled to fan the steam off when she turned the stove off. I wasn't really good at hiding things and it's frustrating that I couldn't at times like this. I just shook my head.

"I'll be fine. You should rest." I sent her a smile but she just frowned at me. Placing the towel on the table, she looked at me unconvincingly.

"You're a horrible liar." She said before leaving me in the kitchen. I followed her and saw her pick up her bag she must have thrown at the hallway before running to the kitchen.

"It's just work." I lied again and she sent me a pointed look telling me not to lie again. She turned her back and started to walk to her room. Scratching my neck, I confessed.

"We found her." I spoke and she stopped on her tracks. There was this awful silence that lasted only for a few seconds but it felt like eternity. I knew she got what I was trying to say and I could see how stiff she was. I tried talking only to be left completely speechless as I was unable to form the right words to say it. I slowly approached her and stopped just a few feet away from her and waited for her response. Slowly turning around, the look of horror made me want to just embrace her and tell her it will be over soon.

"Who is she?"

"Let's talk inside your room, Biya. You need to sit down on this one." I offered and she bit her lip before nodding.