44: The Day We Can't Say No to a Child

Biya's POV

"Are you really going to work, Biya?" I could sense his worry for me but I had to go to work today. He didn't want me to go but I told him I wanted to that's why he was driving slowly while trying to talk me out of it.

"I am going, Emil. No one can stop me. I have to work. Plus, they'll think they won if we'll let them think I'm backing out because of what they did." I replied.

"And please drive faster. I'm going to be late if you keep this slow pace." I told him checking my watch to see that I had 30 minutes to get ready.

""Fine. Can I give you a guard to look out for anyone who try-"

"No, Emil. I'll be fine. Papa Paolo has given me a bodyguard. He's already waiting in my apartment." He nodded and started to drive faster.

"Okay. That's good. I'll update you if we find any lead, okay? I have given my statement regarding the incident last night so that will speed up the process. I'll also do some background checking on my staff especially the management." He said gripping the steering wheel tightly.

"Thank you, Emil. Really. Thank you."

"I'm so sorry, Biya. I should have known. I should have known what was happening to you before this got worse." The deep regret and disappointment can be seen in him with his sad eyes and I sent him a smile.

"I forgive you." A sigh came out of his lips as he stopped at the red light. He looked at me and saw the swirling emotions dancing in his eyes.

"How do you stay so strong despite all of this?" He suddenly asked and I couldn't answer him right away because I really don't know how I got through all of this. Was it my will to fight? The experiences I had living in the streets? Love? Passion? Determination? My son? I really couldn't pinpoint what really brought me to fight.

"I don't know. I just want to stand up for myself, Emil." I replied and he nodded at me before taking my hand, holding me.

"You're a rare treasure to find, Biya. You're really special." He smiled and I had to bite my lip from saying anything back. It was too soon. He let my hand go as the red light turned green and he put his hand back on the gear stick. We had to start things slow. I have to prove to myself that this was really love and not just a spark that could be felt from anyone. We have all the time in the world to get to know each other again. We were just starting and yet, why was I thinking of us being together forever? It was ridiculous but at the same time wonderful to feel this kind of thing with him. We had too many issues to talk about before we could say we're made for each other. I gave him a second chance to discover everything I felt for him and not just the love and attraction. When I was with Zeke, I wanted to feel loved and taken care of and I did felt that. However, those feelings began disappearing as months passed by and he began hurting me and abusing me with his words and eventually, he ended up physically hurting me. With Emil, everything was different. I hated him when he was with another woman but I couldn't help but forgive him as he proved himself that he changed. Even when I broke up with him, he managed to take care of me by looking out for me. I knew for a fact that he still cared for me when he tried protecting me from the press, the rumors, and Zeke. I couldn't just deny everything he did for me and I couldn't deny my feelings I still had for him. I had taken the leap and right now, I was not regretting giving him a second chance. He chose to fight with me now. There were many things that changed with him, me and the both of us and time managed to make us grow and learn that the world had given us challenges to make us the realize our priorities in life.