59: The Day of Good Suits and Threats

Emil's POV

The car ride to my office was silent. Marcus was tense and so was I. We both knew we have to keep our shit together if we wanted to catch Martina and her allies. There was this dread that I felt inside me and I hope this won't actually happen on the night of my date with Biya.

"Marcus, is Luigi clean?" I broke the silence. He looked at me from the rearview mirror and nodded.

"Yes. He's clean, Sir. Why?"

"I need him to do something for me." I could only reply. I didn't want him to know everything I was planning as I knew I could only trust myself when I would be with my employees.

"Be careful, Sir. We're still investigating." He reminded me, his voice carried caution.

"We're here, Sir." He declared, parking the car in my spot of my restaurant parking lot. Opening the car door, some people spotted me and they already began taking pictures.

"It's Emilio Carini!" A woman shouted before more people focused their attention on me. Shit.

"Let's go." I told Marcus, not wanting to be photographed today. He nodded at me and used himself to block anyone trying to take pictures of me. We quickly walked inside the restaurant in a fast pace with the people flashing their cameras on me and some already shouting my name. There was enough distance between us and I was glad of the space. I didn't want to be crushed or mugged right now. I have enough on my plate already. Once we were in, the security guards in the entrance blocked them leaving their shouts muffled behind the doors.

"Why are there people outside again?" I groaned.

"Because you're Emil Carini and you haven't really shown up to the public for months. Just on television." He replied with a smile before we went to my office.

Marcus shot me a look the moment we entered the office and Martina was there already there with her usual iPad clutched in her hands. Last night, I thought of everything that has happened so far with the Vicenzio issue. Something still doesn't add up. I have to remind myself that there's probably more than one people to pull this off with Martina. I was still doubtful of Marcus and I won't let my guard down even for one second. If it's him, it's better to get him close to me so I'll have my eye on him all the time. If it's not him, nothing will change.

"Good morning, Sir!" She greeted in her usual chirpy tone. How can she do that? How can she act bubbly and normal when she's been stabbing me behind my back? A flash of anger and betrayal struck me but I had to remind myself to be calm.

"Good morning, Martina." I responded, going directly to the pile of paperwork I had in my desk.

"What's my schedule for today?" I asked taking a handful of documents with me. Marcus came to his usual spot when I needed him for the day. He sat on his usual brown cushioned seat near the door, grabbing a newspaper pretending to read. I knew that act of his. His eyes would shot at Martina and if looks could only kill, she would be dead right now.

"You only have a lunch meeting and two conference meetings later on 2 pm and 5 pm, Sir." She replied and I watched her type on her iPad. The usual things she did where now unnerving me. I was beginning to overthink everything she does and suspicions rose more on her.

"Great. Marcus, get me Luigi. I need to talk to him." I ordered the man who was watching me and Martina quietly at the corner.

"I can arrange that, Sir." Martina offered and I shook my head.

"No. Go back to your desk, Martina. We have a lot to deal with later today. Marcus will take care of it."

"Oh. Okay Sir." She shuffled on her feet before giving me one last look and then she walked away.