64: The Night of a Quiet Surprise

Biya's POV

When we are apart and you miss me, just look at our picture.

Always remember, Emil.... I love you. ~ Beatrice

He kept it. After all this time... I looked at Emil who was still as a statue, his posture lower and was silent. Without putting down the first box, I opened the other box and took the remote. Pushing the first button, the night lamps lit the room in a warm glow. I fixed my attention to Emil. There, illuminated by the warm glow of lights, sadness and guilt etched his face. It looked painful to see him that way. How much did he suffer while I was gone?

"Emil..." I spoke his name softly and I saw him take a deep breath.

"I'm sorry if it I offended you or it is wrong to keep the engagement ring and the picture." His voice was low and he was trying to mask his emotions. He was failing to do that.

"I-" I tried scooting over to him only for him to look away from me. His eyes went to the windows.

"It's weird, isn't it?"

"What?"

"You might find it weird that I still kept those. I didn't want you to find that out." He said and that made a piece of the puzzle come to life. That's why he didn't want me to come in his bedroom before. It was because of these. He might have thought I will find them. Those were his reasons, right?

"Why didn't you want me to find these?"

"I was your ex, Biya, and I kept those things that were meaningful to us. I don't know. I-I'm embarrassed." A pang of hurt struck me. I set the boxes down on the bed and looked at the engagement ring. That whooping millions of dollars worth of diamond.

"You feel embarrassed that you were with me and that I was your ex?" I muttered and I felt the bed shift.

"What? No. No. No. Baby, don't think that way. You got it all wrong." He came to my side quickly. I gasped when he suddenly was behind me wrapping those muscular arms of his around me.

"What I meant was, I feel embarrassed that you have to find that I kept those. You might think it's strange."

"You're overthinking it, Emil." I told him. Since I came back to his life, he looked scared that I would leave him and I knew that this might be the case right now for him.

"Are you thinking that I will feel weirded out and it will cause something between us?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yes."

"Why did you keep these?" He let me go and went to sit in front of me. Staring at the engagement ring and the picture, he spoke.

"I wanted to keep the memories that gave me the best days of my life. I wanted to keep the memory of us even when you were gone." He looked at me with sad eyes. It broke me that we had to have a rift and we separated but I guess life has something for us that made us better. I learned to stand my ground and I am slowly accepting the fact that I should not be afraid to be myself in front of others. I have learned to come into the spotlight when needed. As for Emil, he learned to become a better man and control his temper. His dominant side still shows but he learned that to be a man, you must also be soft and gentle sometimes. He learned to be in the shadows when necessary and be on the spotlight when he wants to. Our light shed a way to our darkness and right now, we were an eclipse. An eclipse that brought beauty between the light and the dark. My heart melted and I smiled knowing this man had been through so much pain like I did. Without any warning, I leaned in and kissed his forehead. Love, tenderness and care. I wanted him to feel those through my lips and I think he did by the way he sagged and released a huge breath.