38: The Day I Bet My Heart on a Gamble

Emil's POV

"If you are friends with her then why were you so tense, boy?" My dad faced me the moment we dropped Em off in her house. I groaned, covering my face with both of my hands in frustration. I didn't want to talk about this. I was used to seeing Biya alone or only with her son and Elda. I was put on the spot earlier and I didn't know how to act. I was afraid we would get judged again. I was afraid another speculation would rise again and it would affect her.

"Dad, please, let's not talk about it."

"No. I want to talk about it now. Why are you acting like that? Did something happen again? Don't tell me you fucked up again, Emil. I swear to God I'll punch you square in the face if you did that."

"What?! No! No. I was just shocked. I didn't know what to do and Blaze... Dio! That man... he's digging his own grave." I gritted my teeth remembering what he did earlier. I'll make him pay for sure. My dad sighed sitting properly and rubbing his forehead.

"Dad. Look. I'll figure this out. I still can't forget and I still feel shitty about what happened to the both of us; to my reckless actions."

"You're confused, angry, full of regret, lost, and guilty with your past but you still love her. It's so obvious, son. And your mother and I are trying so hard to help you but you cannot just wait and delay everything you want to do because you are afraid." I felt attacked with his words.

"Dad-" He waved a hand at me clearly not wanting to stop.

"No. Hear me out. You are afraid of what the future holds. You are scared that you will ruin it again or Biya will reject you. Perhaps you are also afraid about the comments and criticisms from the public but this is your life. You have to take risks, son. You are known to gamble for something you feel you have a good outcome with. Why can't you gamble your heart one more time? It might be good for you."

"Or bad..." I snapped before looking out the window.

"It was so hard when I lost her, dad. Now that I'm with her, even though as friends, I am afraid that she'll run away. My actions always hurt the ones I love." I felt his hand on my shoulder, giving it a squeeze to comfort me. I looked at him and the sympathy in him stabbed my heart.

"You will never know until you do it, son. I saw how she looked at you. I can feel it in my heart that she still loves you. Sure, she broke up with her ex but I can see that she still has the warm look in her eyes when she looks at you. She's pretending to not be hurt, Emil. That's how strong that woman is. When you were not looking at her earlier, she was looking at you. Now, it's not that I condone you for your stupid acts but your mistakes don't define who you really are. The actions you do to solve the problem will reflect who you are. Now, quit acting like a chicken and do something!" Every word was imbedded into my brain but his last words made me start laughing.

"Chicken? Really?" He raised a brow.

"What? Do you think this is a joke?" He frowned at me and I raised my hands in the air in surrender.

"No. No. I am really trying."

"Don't just try, boy. Act! If it takes for your mother to drag you to her apartment by the ear, I'll make her do that. You are wasting your time. For a businessman like you, you sure procrastinate a lot with the most important task of your life." He shook his head and I looked down on my lap in guilt and regret. I was a coward, that's for sure. I love Biya so much and it frightens me. I have to get myself together and make her mine again. I love her still and it should be my reason to crawl back to her and start again; not run away just because I was afraid that I'd lose her again. Dad was right. I should put my heart at stake again for this gamble because the reward would be worth incomparable to a billion dollars.