40: The Night I Cursed at Destiny

Hello everyone! 8995 words for this chapter! WHAT?! This is a very long chapter and this will be the last chapter in Emil's POV. The next chapter will be Biya's again. You know the drill on this story, every 10 chapters, change of POV. Thank you for waiting patiently on this update. My old laptop was broken and I had to get a new one. I tried to update before but I had a hard time with this new one so if you see errors in this story, I apologize. I'm still learning about my new laptop. Hahaha. Happy reading!

Emil's POV

Everything felt right. Every day, I felt great like I was on bliss. The sun was shining brightly, the breeze softly caressing my skin and the soft ballad music playing from the living room made the rest of the week great. I was now cooking my family dinner on a Sunday night since they come to visit me again.
"Someone's in a good mood." My father commented with a smirk while my mom sipped her tea with a twinkle in her eyes.
"Yeah. You could probably tell by that annoying smile of his." Em rolled her eyes as she helped me set the table. I gave her a look and she just stuck her tongue out in a childish behavior.
"What is it, son?" I cleared my throat as their eyes were all on me, their gaze making me uncomfortable and wanting to blurt out everything about Biya and me.
"Nothing." I quickly replied before going to the kitchen to take the adobo out of the pot. Adobo was my favorite Filipino food and when mom taught me her recipe, once a week when we get together, she or I would cook adobo as one of our main dishes. I heard them have a talk in low voices and I couldn't really hear what they were saying. I ignored them as I focused on plating the food, perfectly executing it to be seen prettily. Once I was satisfied with my serving, I carried the bowl to the dining area where my family was waiting for dinner to be served.
"Here's the adobo!" I announced proudly and I carefully put it on the table. We all settled in our seats and said our prayers before diving in. We were in the middle of the course when mom broke the silence.
"So, how are you, Em? How's work?" She asked before taking a bite of her food.
"I have to go to Moscow on Wednesday." She replied and I looked at her in worry.
"Bro, you need to relax. I'll be safe there. UN has ensured that I will be always safe." She spoke in a calm manner trying to reassure be that she will be safe but I still couldn't stop worrying about her safety especially when she's in a foreign country. She's a teacher and a manager in the UN and she had to go to countries to visit and talk to people. Her job can be really dangerous especially when terrorists are lurking around the corner trying to find a situation to hurt UN. We tried to convince her to stay and focus on her crown business but she repeatedly told us that she wanted to help others so we were in constant worry for her state.
"You cannot make me stop worrying about you."
"Awwww. Thanks big brother." She cooed before pinching my cheek. I was the only son of the family and Em was not my sister by blood. My parents had adopted her when she was little at a foster home. We didn't know what happened to her parents and what happened to her. My parents, especially my mom, didn't want her to be exposed to the horrors of the world at such a young age so they took her in. She's one of the greatest blessing in the house as she's like a ray of sunshine to us.
"Just contact us if you sense any trouble, okay? Even if it's just a little one." Dad advised her like the protective father that he was.
"Yes, I will." She smiled at them and repeatedly continued to tell us not to worry.
"What about you? You're not brooding anymore. What happened?" Em turned the attention to me with an evil smile. Well, damn. She didn't want to suffer alone under their bombardment of personal questions and she decided to make me join her sooner that I have expected.
"Oh! Yes! Any good news? Is it work?" Dad spoke with his mouth full earning him a slap on the shoulder from mom.
"Sorry." He grinned before chewing quickly.
"Or a girl?" Em added with her mouth full too.
"Em! Chew before you talk! My God! You got that from your father." Mom sighed before she looked at me.
"And you? Who is this girl?" She pointed a finger at me determined to make me tell her the truth.
"Same girl, of course." Em answered for me, again, with her mouth stuffed with food.
"Em! I swear to God!" She cursed at her daughter doing unladylike acts in front of her. Em could act like this graceful lady but sometimes, when comforted with food, she could be very unladylike.
"And you! You talked to Biya now? When? What happened?" She demanded answers with her fork pointed at me. Dad casually watched us taking a drink of his red wine.
"It must be a good news since he's been smiling freakily when he has his phone with him."
"But he's been away and went to US for filming and business. How could he manage-"
"Simple, mom. Love!" Em dramatically spoke the word 'love' and it was annoying to hear her say that.
"So? Did you finally talk to her? Like really talk to her?" Mom asked leaning towards me as she waited for my answers.
"Uhm..."
"You know, you too have been through so much. You two really need to get your shit together. You two are so complicated it hurts my eyes." Em spoke before eating a pineapple slice. Dad chuckled agreeing with her.
"What did she say, dear?"
"She said she'll think about it." Both women groaned while my dad gave me a high five.
"Why are you so proud? She might say no any day."
"I promised her, Em, that we're going to work this out and she agreed. We're going to try again. I know she's the one for me and I won't let her go this time."
"That's my boy." Dad proudly clinked glasses with me and I smiled at him.
"By the way, I talked to your grandfather. He will be coming here this week."
"Good! I missed the old man."
"Me too! What could I give him, dad? He always brings me jewelries and he would insist that he didn't want me to give him anything." Em began complaining about how hard it was to find out what our grandpa wants. At the age of 90, grandpa still had it in him to move and think younger than he was. He didn't give a damn about his age as long as he had the energy and time, he'll do what he wanted.
"Maybe you can make him jewelry?" I suggested and my sister just looked at me as if I was joking.
"He can just buy that, Emil." She replied.
"Go around the city with him, dear. You know him. He wants to move his muscles as much as possible." Mom suggested this time and dad agreed.
"That's a good idea. You can drive him around and walk to see places. Maybe visit another place this time."
"Yeah. We can go to France." I added to their ideas but then instantly regretted when Em squealed loudly.
"Oh my gosh! YES! Shopping with grandpa will be awesome! Emil! You're coming with us!" I groaned as she began to plan ahead.
"Fuck." I mumbled under my breath and dad laughed at me.
"Can't I just have someone to accompany you?"
"No. This is family time, Emil. No excuses. I'll make sure of it." Em narrowed her eyes at me as if she was older than me. It sucked to have a shopaholic sister like her. Sure, it's fine to go shopping but she's on the different level when it came to shopping. She'll bury me again with those huge shopping bags.
"You owe me one, Em. I think I'm going to pass out whenever I'm out shopping with you."
"Love you, big brother."
"Yeah. Yeah." I replied but deep inside, I really love her. She deserved everything in the world for at such a young age, she thought the world abandoned her. Our parents just watched us with interest as we kept on throwing insults and remarks at each other. God! I love my family.