39: The Day Her Tears Stabbed Me Hard

Emil's POV

The hallway was empty and the sound of a television from another apartment room can be heard from the room in front of us. We were now outside of her apartment and she's standing in front of me waiting for me to start talking. She bit on her lip as she looked around, trying to avoid my gaze now that we're alone.

"What do you want to talk about, Emil?" My heart was already racing my anxiety and nervousness and hearing her speak made me swallow the lump in my throat.

"Biya? How do you feel about this whole thing?" I gestured to the two of us as I found it hard to find the exact words to say what I want to say. She looked down, bracing herself with her arms across her chest.

"Why are you asking me that? I thought you would be okay with us just being friends." Her brows furrowed as she spoke and sweat beaded my forehead in nervousness.

"But-" She cut me off as she shook her head.

"Emil, I wanted to be friends with you because that's what I can only offer for you. I don't want anything else. What you did back then when you saved me was proof that you won't leave me unprotected; that you still have it in you to protect who you want to protect and I would let that go because Zeke is still out there planning God knows what. I forgave you already with what you did and you must find it in yourself to accept that we'll never be more than friends again. I learned my lesson. I-"

"Biya, please... I'm really trying my best but you have to let me too. I cannot move if you keep on making walls. Please. Take me back."

"Stop it, Emil. Don't ruin everything we have now."

"But-"

"No. I don't want this again to happen. If you don't want us to be friends, then you can walk out. I don't want you to leave, Emil, but if you keep on doing this..."

"Then let me stay. Let me in, Biya. I can do better than before. I have learned my lesson. We can start over again. How can you not feel the connection we have? Ho- Biya?" I stopped talking the moment I saw a tear run down her left cheek.

"Why do you have to be so stubborn, Emil?" She sobbed and I took a step towards her but she held a hand for me to stop.

"I told you. I want us to be friends because I don't want more. I- I... Do you think it's easy for me to do this? To ignore everything I feel just to be safe?" Her lips trembled while my hands shook wanting to wipe her tears away.

"From me? Is that what you are saying? That you are doing this to be safe from me? I will never lay a hand on you to hurt you."

"But you already did! You hurt me! Do you think I am that heartless to be like this with you? Every night I would think of the reasons why it had to be you. Why did it have to be you, Emil?"

"What do you mean? I...I don't get it." I took a step again and she stepped back. A traitorous tear slipped out from me and I quickly wiped it away. I want to comfort her but how could I when I am the reason to her heartbreak. I reached to hold her hand but I trembled and hesitated. I couldn't. She would just reject me if I do that. I was lost with what I should do. I was afraid she's going to run away from me.

"Why did it have to be you? Of all the men I could ever meet, you're the only one who could make me feel so high yet so low. You made me want to have revenge but at the same time forgive you. You're the only one who could make me feel so many things and make me numb the next. Why? I want to be friends with you but I also want more. But it's hard for me to do that because of everything else I couldn't control. I don't want you to repeat what you did. I am afraid I can't come back when you do that again. I-I... I don't want you to leave again so please just be my friend!" She cried, her hands on her face to stop herself from being heard crying.