Lie To Me {18}

“Don’t hit me! Please don’t hit me!” I shrieked, covering my face and waiting for the blow that would undoubtedly come. “HELP!”

                I sat up in bed, my heart hammering and sticky sweat covering my body. I looked around and waited for my eyes to adjust to the darkness.

                I had kicked my blankets off onto the floor and thrown my pillow at my dresser during the course of my nightmare. I ran a shaky hand through my hair and took a few deep breaths.

                “Okay. You’re out of your freaking mind Shailer. You thought your dresser was going to attack you, and you thought a pillow would stop it,” I grumbled as I crawled out of bed and grabbed my pillow. I tossed it on my bed and grabbed my blankets, pulling them over myself as I laid back down and grabbed my iPod.

                I put on Do You Wanna by The Kooks and squeezed my eyes shut. I needed to sleep. I felt exhausted. I was scared to have another nightmare, but I was just too tired.

                I’d been having nightmares more and more lately. It was freaking me out, and I was beyond grateful that my parents were such heavy sleepers.

                I really hoped that the nightmares weren’t some warning sign that my dad was going to start drinking again. I wouldn’t be able to handle it. I was constantly alert for him to start playing that stupid song again. He always drank to Alkaline Trio, but when Good Fucking Bye came on, he seemed to get more violent than usual for some reason. I hated it.

                I managed to fall back asleep and in the morning, I got up and got ready for school. “Mother! Where is my granola bar?” I called.

                “Up your ass!” she snapped in annoyance. I pouted. Dumb bitch.

                She came out and chucked a granola bar at my head. I yelped and ducked as it smacked the wall right where my head had been a few seconds earlier.

                “God you are such a bitch!” I whined as I picked it up and began to eat it. She frowned at me and came over, placing her hand on my forehead.

                “Whoa. Kinky,” I said and awkwardly backed away from her. She rolled her eyes at me. “You’re really pale, Shai. Do you feel okay?” she asked.

                “Shai and okay rhyme! MY MOM’S A MOTHER FREAKING POET!” I cheered, fist pumping. She shot me a look and I snapped my mouth shot and smiled innocently.

                “Do you feel okay?” she asked again. I shrugged. “I’m just really, really tired. I’ve been having trouble sleeping,” I said and nervously rubbed the back of my neck.

                “Don’t miss the bus. We’ll talk when you get home. Do you have detention?” she asked and I nodded before slinging my bag over my shoulder, giving a slight wave, and going outside to wait for the bus.

                I had my driver’s license, but my mom didn’t let me drive to school because there was one part where a lot of accidents happened, mostly involving young drivers. My parents were afraid I was going to kill myself. Which would probably happen, but still.

                I stepped onto the bus and sat down with my earphones in. I hated it when people tried to talk to me when I had my earphones in. Anyone that actually tried to do that should definitely go swimming with a hungry bull shark at night.