Lie To Me {14}

I entered the gym where Coach and Tattle were sitting and talking to each other quietly. Coach glanced up at me and an awkward silence fell over the gym.

                “Shut the door and come join us Shailer,” Coach said, nodding at the door. I shut the door and went over, sitting across from Tattle and not meeting his eyes.

                “Now, you boys both like music, right?” Coach asked and Tattle and I nodded, eyeing her carefully. Where was she going with this?

                “Well, what are your favorite bands?” Coach asked. “The Kooks,” I said instantly, and glanced at Tattle, daring him to say anything against them. They had gotten me through the times when my dad had-

                “We The Kings,” Tattle said with a shrug. “Ain’t they on tour with Anarbor?” I asked and Tattle nodded.

                “Shailer! Don’t say ain’t. It’s annoying,” Coach said, shaking her head at me. “Sorry,” I said with a shrug of my own.

                “Okay boys, and what’s your favorite song by your favorite band?” she asked us and we both took a minute to think. I didn’t really have to think long though.

                “I want you back,” I said simply and smiled a little. God I loved that song. No matter what dad and I were going through, we could rely on that song to get us through it. Even if he was…Well, no. I won’t focus on that.

                “Whiskey in hell is my favorite song, but that’s by Anarbor. My favorite We The Kings song is…Every Single Dollar,” Tattle said with a slight smile of his own. Coach nodded at us thoughtfully. She eyed both of us and I suddenly had a bad feeling.

                “What are your least favorite songs?” she asked and I froze as my mind began to race. Gah, I didn’t even know what my least favorite song was. Barbie Girl? Nah, I sang that with Chelsea too much…

                “Terrible Things by Mayday Parade,” Tattle said and made a disgusted face. “I can’t stand that freaking song.”

                Coach glanced at me. “What about you Shailer?” she asked curiously and I put on my concentrated face as I tried to think of one. My concentrated face was the same one I put on when I was taking a shit. There were just some things you needed to concentrate to do, especially after eating my mother’s cooking.

                I made a face as a song basically slapped me in the face. I hated it so much that I did whatever I could to forget about it.

                “I hate, hate, hate Good Fucking Bye by Alkaline Trio,” I growled. “Why?” Tattle asked curiously. I shot him a look and he instantly got the message that this conversation was over.

                “Music says a lot about a person,” Coach started to explain and I held up my hand to stop her right freaking there.

                “Listen, you’re a gym coach. I don’t want a gym coach picking my brain and trying to figure me out based on the music I listen to. I’d rather clean the bathrooms. Tattle and I get along now, so can we stop with this stupid psychiatrist shit?” I said in annoyance.

                But instead of getting all pissed off and demanded I run laps or do pushups or some shit, she just waited patiently to make sure I was done with my mini rant.

                “There’s a lot about each other that you don’t know. Heck, a lot about each other that I don’t know. Maybe you two should start off by telling something personal about yourself. William, why don’t you start?” Coach suggested and he got a nervous look on his face.