Lie To Me {13}

I sat up in my room when I got home and curiously pulled out my phone, too impatient to wait for Tattle to get a hold of me. Tattle had probably been planning on talking to me in school tomorrow, most like during lunch, but I was Shailer Murphy and I had no patience.

                I waited about 10 minutes before flipping open to my recent calls and mentally sighing as I scrolled through, too lazy to just type Tattle’s name in my contact search.

                Mom

                Mom

                Mom

                Mom

                Mom

                Mom

                Mom

                Tattle

                Ah. There we go. I brought up the number and dialed it, trying to ignore the fact that I had called my mother so much in the past day. Gah, I needed friends.

                “Hello?” a man answered. His voice was tired and a little slurred, but deep. It was most likely Tattle’s dad.

                “Is Ta…Uh, is William there?” I asked, realizing Tattle’s dad probably didn’t call him Tattle. The man was quiet for a second before calling out Tattle’s name.

                “William! William, are you home?” he called and I heard the sound of a door creaking open before the man sighed.

                “He’s not home, sorry. Try back in a little if you want,” he said and coughed. It was the same hacking cough that Tattle had, and I suddenly felt really bad. What if someone in his family smoked? Second hand smoke was worse for your lungs than actually smoking.

                “Okay. Thank you sir,” I said and hung up after he grumbled out a reply. I slid my phone back in my pocket and wondered what Coach could possibly be holding Tattle after school so long for.

                Unless he had to walk home. Ah, that would suck. But he probably lived closer to the school than I did. I had a feeling Tattle was used to walking places. He probably always walked home from school, and that was why I never saw anyone pick him up after detention.

                “Shailer! Dinner!” mom called and I jumped up. I could call back after I had eaten dinner. I was fat, and there was food on the table. Tattle would just have to wait.

                I sat down at the table and my mom handed me a plate with lasagna on it. I hungrily dug right into my dinner. Om nom nom food.

                “You are such a fatass,” mom said with a sigh as she sat next to me and began eating. “Shailer, who taught you your table manners? A cannibal? That’s not how you hold a fork,” dad said in disgust as he watched me shovel my food down my throat.

                “Dad, why would a cannibal teach me how to use a fork? I don’t think you use a fork when you eat a person,” I pointed out, covering my mouth so I didn’t spit out food like I’m sure the principal does when he eats.

                “You know what I mean. Hold your fork right and use your table manners,” he grumbled and took a sip of milk. I pouted but began to eat using my manners.