Chapter 39

"But I promise you this, I'll always look out for you."

Daphney's P.O.V

Louis ended up having to go back home after he finished work because Lila came home and he couldn't just disappear.  It's been three days since he's stayed with me this weekend. He comes up and checks on me but I guess I just got used to him being here with me.

My bruises on my face started to fade, thank god, it was hard to cover them up since they were sore but now that they've faced and don't hurt as much it's easier, so now I can go out without looking like a freak.

My phone hasn't stopped ringing for the pet couple days, it's coming from a blocked number so I'm thinking its Alex but I haven't answered because I'm mostly scared.

Obviously I know I'm going to have to talk to him sooner or later about what happened. I don't think we're together but still, we probably have to talk. Preferably during the day in a crowded coffee shop or over the phone, just somewhere where he won't be able to hurt me.

I feel like it was my fault, I should've seen it coming. We've only dated for a month but he was pretty possessive and had a low tolerance for anything. He's forced me to change out of something because he didn't like it or he'd just get mad easily, so I should've seen it coming but there I go again, being naive and dumb like always.

I sigh as I get up from my bed and go downstairs to get a cup of tea so I'd feel a bit better.

My feet touched the cold hardwood floor as I walked out my room and down the stairs, into the kitchen.

I quickly grabbed my kettle and turned it on since I already had left over water in it.

I grab the tea bag and mug, placing it in the cup, and now waiting for the kettle to reach its screeching boil.

As I walked around and waited for the water to boil, I heard my house phone start to ring and of course I grab it almost instantly because Louis had said he was going to call me when he got the chance to, today.

I quickly pressed the green button on the house phone as I go to sit on the counter.

"It's about time you called" I laugh into the phone as I dangle my legs from the counter.

"Huh-what?" I hear a familiar voice, that I can't quite pinpoint, say into the speaker.

"Louis?" I say confused as I furrowed my eyebrows and stayed still on the counter waiting for the voice to reply.

"No—not him, it's um— Alex." The voice stutters nervously into the phone as I went blank and probably as white as a fucking ghost. Do I hang up? What does he want? Is he here?

"Please don't hang up, I just want to talk." He says, his voice softer than normal, as he sounded quite nervous.

I didn't know what to do. He seemed genuine and calm, maybe I should talk to him?

I let out a sigh into the speaker as I spoke up.

"What do you want?" I say into the phone with a serious tone as I stood up straight and looked and stared at the wall.

"I don't know where to begin—" he says but I cut him off.

"What do you mean you don't know where to begin? You're the one that called." I say pissed off into the phone.

"I'm not here to fight, I'm here to talk, please Daphney." He said quite sadly into the phone and I couldn't help but feel bad. Why do I always do this, oh god.

I stayed silent as I waited for him to say what he was going to say, on the other line.

"The other night, I don't know what came over me, and I know that isn't and excuse, but that's the truth–" he trails off as I stay silent on the other line.

"I don't want to hurt you, and I was being extremely violent about the situation and there's nothing I can do to justify my actions. I'm new here, and I don't know too many people that well. I'm trying to adjust to this but this is the first time I've ever been alone in my life, and I'm so far away from home— anyway what I mean to say is that I was nervous and I overreacted because I'm scared, okay?" He says tripping over his words and trailing off.

I felt sympathetic for him and I know I shouldn't but he does have a reason. It isn't like he just hit me for fun? He's new here and he's afraid and alone, and I was provoking him while he was nervous.

"You're quiet, so you're probably mad. I don't blame you..." He mumbles off as we both stayed quiet for a while.

I didn't know what to say. Part of me wanted to speak up but I was falling into it. I didn't know if this was a trap or if it was genuine but he does sound genuine.

"You really hurt me, Alex." I mumble into the phone as I ran my hands through my hair, stressed.

"I know I did. I don't expect you to forgive me, that's actually the farthest thing I'd expect from you at this point, I don't deserve it at all." He sighs into the phone sadly.

"I just called to say that I'm sorry, and not to be scared if you think I'm going to be one of those crazy guys that go to your door and beg at your knees. You want your space and I understand if you never want to see me again, and I'll respect that. You didn't deserve what happened and I take full blame. I'm sorry I hurt you, Daphney."

He didn't mean to hit me. Everyone makes mistakes. Who am I to judge someone for a mistake they made? Louis made mistakes with drugs a few years ago and I didn't judge. I'm not perfect either, I drink to go numb, I can't judge someone for a mistake. It only happened once, it's never going to happen again. Maybe I should give him one more chance?

"I'll go, I just wanted to tell you that." He sighed as he was about to hang up but I quickly stopped him.

"Alex." I say into the other line abruptly.

I heard his breath hitch. I was nervous to speak up but I did anyway.

"I don't fully forgive you- but I'm willing to give you a chance." I say nervously into the phone the sides of my fingers.

"Daphney, you don't have too..." He trailed off.

"I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't want to. You made a mistake and out of all people I should understand, hell- I'm even a damn mess myself." I mumble as he stayed silent.

"I'll give you one more chance, and we'll start over again. Take things slow, and try not to make the same mistakes before, okay?"  I tell him as I keep biting the skin off the side of my nail.

"That sounds perfect." He says into the phone.

SHORT CHAPTER I KNOW OKAY BUT DONT GET MAD. I would like for you to remember that she hasn't ever really had a relationship besides Louis so she's quite new to this and doesn't know what to do. She's still naive even if she thinks she's grown up, she still has a lot of learning to do. Also there's going to be a couple updates within this week so get ready! I'm so sorry I haven't been updating but now I'm going to update way more! Let's try to get 30 votes and 25 comments on your thoughts and opinions on it. As always thank you for the love and support!
-Emma ❤️