Chapter 34

"Said I, I adore you."

Daphney's P.O.V

I looked at myself reassuringly in the mirror for the hundredth time. I was nervous mostly because I was going to meet Louis' family and friends. Not that it matters but you know, meeting the woman that made the man that I secretly love is just a little nerve racking, and whenever I'm around Lila as well, I tend to get a bit nervous because I also am fucking her fiancé.

I wore a sleeveless, black turtleneck, bodycon dress that ended at about mid calf, along with all black wedges that instantly bumped me up two inches. My hair was in a loose bun with my bangs falling on either side of my face. My makeup was just winged eyeliner and mascara, with a little eyeshadow and nude lipstick. Lila told me to dress up, so I did.

I also bought store bought brownies and popped them in a pan and then in the microwave so they look like they were warm, toasty, and home baked. I don know how to bake, and I don't want to learn. At least I'm a master in the skill of extreme laziness?

I finished critiquing myself in the mirror and then grab my messenger bag that held my phone, wallet, so on and so forth. I then started to walk out of my room and down the stairs of the house.

I quickly made sure Chester had food in his bowl once I was downstairs, and then grabbed my keys off the counter, picking up my brownies as well in a 'casserole dish' or at least that's what my mom told me when I called and asked her.

I quickly took a deep breath before I opened the front door and walked out, also locking the door behind me.

I then now walked down the front steps of my porch and then onto the concrete sidewalk. It was slightly cold outside since it was autumn but I didn't need a jacket since it was a short walk. I walked down to the house next door as I had a little anxiety, I'm not good at social gatherings. My shoes clanked against the concrete until I found myself walking up the front porch of Louis' and Lila's shared home.

Many cars were parked in their driveway, and some even in mine since all the cars couldn't fit in theirs, I didn't mind though.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the front door nervously, like I used to do when Louis and I started dating a few years ago and I was so nervous to talk to him. Great, now I'm sad.

A few seconds passed and nothing happened, as I can hear the indistinct chatter from inside. Maybe they didn't hear me? Should I knock once more?

But that quickly stopped when the door finally opened to Louis. His hair was shaggy and pushed to the side as always but he wore a white button down with a blazer over, and some slacks. He looked amazing.

I saw his eyes skim me up and down as a smile arose on his face.

"You look- wow." Louis mumbled out of breath and butterflies erupted in my stomach, fuck.

"I can say the same for you." I smile as a blush came to my face.

"Come in. " he mumbled as he opened the door a bit wider so I can walk in, which I did.

I was engulfed into warm air which made me feel better until I saw that there was about 40 people in this flat right now. It was absolutely crowded and it just made me even more nervous. Everyone was dressed up well and just chatting with each other, scattered throughout the first story of the flat.

"So did you actually bake the brownies or are they store bought?" Louis asked me in my ear as he was chuckling a bit, knocking me out of my train of thought.

"Wait— You can tell?!" I say slightly panicking as I was wide eyed.

"I can tell, because I know you well enough that you can't make brownies as perfect as that." Louis slightly laughed as he looked at the brownies through the glass lid.