Chapter 52: Midnight Stars

"Alright you two, I'm turning in. I'll see y'all tomorrow," Julian said, turning off the overhead light. Rob and I went outside.

"Meet me over here with your blankets and pillow," I said. He raised an eyebrow.

"Alright," he said, and he went to his cabin. I entered ours and went into the bathroom, changing into my pajamas. I grabbed all my blankets and my pillow off the bed. I went back outside, and Rob was waiting for me.

"What are we doing?" he asked. I took his hand and we walked around to the back of the house.

"Give me your blankets," I instructed. I took all the blankets and pillows, and threw them up on the roof. I stepped on the windowsill, and boosted myself up onto the roof. Rob did the same, and we sat on the flat roof. I adjusted our pillows and blankets and set them up. I laid down and looked up at the stars.

"It's really beautiful," I whispered, putting my head on Rob's shoulder.

"Yeah. It is," he agreed, taking my hand. I smiled, and he laid down too. I curled up closer to him and looked at the stars again.

"Do you ever wonder about what would've happened if you hadn't left?" Rob asked quietly. I closed my eyes.

"Yeah. I do. I think it was better that I left. We probably would've broken up.....I need you, Rob. I...I just need you," I said quietly.

"I need you too Alex," he replied softly. I laughed.

"I find it funny. They don't know about all the 'I love you's. They don't know. They think...they think you're some dumb frat boy with an IQ of 50. But they don't know the real you," I whispered. "They don't know the real us." He turned his head my way.

"Alex...I love you. A lot. I really do. But I just...I dunno. I feel like I'm keeping you away from your life," Rob sighed.

"What life?" I scoffed. "Rob, you and I both know that I have no life. Football is my life now. You and the team. I'm the unofficial drills coach, remember?" I said, grinning. I looked at the sky again. The trees framed the stars like a picture frame.

"You really are amazing," Rob said, shaking his head. I sat up, and he did too. I gave him a hug, and ran my hands through his now-tousled dirty blonde hair. I put my head in the crook of his neck, and took in his scent.

"I could stay like this forever," I admitted. He nodded.

"I could too."

I laid back down and put my head on his shoulder.

"I'm afraid I'm gonna fall," I said, laughing.

"I won't let you fall," Rob said, bringing me closer.

"Good. Because I don't wanna fall."

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me
and just forget the world?

"Alex?" Rob asked a couple minutes after.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"If you could pick anyone in the world to be with, who would it be?"

"You," I replied softly. "Rob, you're my Superman. I don't need anyone or anything else when I'm with you. It's you that I want. Yeah, Channing Tatum is hot, but he's not you. You're the one I want. What about you?"

"Do you even have to ask? Why do you think that I got all defensive when the newbies asked who you were?" he asked. I shrugged.

"You know I was just kidding at practice, right?"

"Yeah I know," Rob said, laughing. It got silent. "What would happen if I got traded?"

"I don't...I don't know," I said, my voice faltering. "Never mind you; I honestly don't think I'd cope with it well. I need these guys too. Julian's like my big brother. Tom's like my second dad. Danny's like my brother too. All of you. I love you all."

"Yeah," Rob said, sighing. "That'd kinda suck. I love New England."

"Let's just not think about it then," I said, shaking my head slightly. "Why even bother?"

"I don't know. It was just a thought."

"You've come a long way," I said.

"A long way from what?" Rob asked.

"A long way from the five year old boy with blonde blonde hair running around like a nut case.
A long way from the kid with a crooked grin and a love for sports.
A long way from the awkward preteen with braces.
A long way from the high school football player who would always be there for me.
A long way from the boy I knew before I left. The boy with spiky blonde hair that I loved to spend time with. The boy with warm brown eyes that had a certain sparkle in them. The boy with that certain knack for making me laugh. The boy that I texted every day. The boy who requested a locker next to mine specifically so we could see each other every period. The boy that had been with me through the good and the bad. The boy that taught me being yourself was ok. The boy that told me we'd always be best friends, no matter what. The boy that I've known and loved forever. The boy that was my rock. That is my rock," I said quietly and emotionally. "You've somehow become ten times the person you were. And I'm so proud of you. I'm proud of everything. I love you."

"I love you too."

He kissed my forehead.

"Goodnight, Rob."

"Goodnight, Alex."