Submission 1091

I've been bullied ever since I started primary school. I had moved all the way from Otago, from a small town, to a big town.

It started in grade 6. I had a love for sweet things and was very chubby. There was this popular girl who always managed to sweet talk me into doing her homework or sharing my secrets, that would quickly go all around the school. Her friend was the principals daughter.

There was also an annoying boy who always managed to make me feel self- conscious and he once slammed the latch from a door into my stomach. That left a mark.

I started intermediate at grade 7. That whole month was fine but I was missing my two best friends like crazy who were at another intermediate.

After that month, my mum was offered a job in China. She took it and we went with her. Of course then I was still chubby and I started school at an international school that had no other foreign students apart from my younger brother and I.

After a month, I was happy. I was in my place, I was getting to know others and this was all in a different country. But then I started growing up. I had a butt, I had boobs, I started eating lots. Everyday after school I would eat chocolate.

The most popular girl in their grade started turning everyone against me. They didn't think I could speak Chinese so everything they said about me, was in front of me. I started spending loads of money on chocolate and eating all of it. I did this for a month and gained heaps of weight. This, of course, did not help my wanting for the bullying to stop but I had no one to talk to so food was my only friend. I was at a very low stage of my life. Then, this other chubby boy went around saying I stunk. I didn't. Sadly, I kept eating and eventually I was so sick of the bullying I tried to become anorexic to be like the skinny twigs they were in my class. I went three days and then started eating again.

The one time I stood up was when the chubby boy said I had a big butt and big boobs. I said 'At least I have on, and should you even have boobs?'

I left him stunned. Then one day, I was so tired and people were talking about me again. I walked up to them and started speaking Chinese. Then there were rumors that I spoke Chinese so everyone shut up. I couldn't even take a nap without people touching my butt and calling it squishy.

I managed to go on a diet and stay on a diet. I lost some weight and eventually, school ended and summer came. People were telling me I had lost weight, that I'd gotten taller.

We left and came back to New Zealand. Even though I'd lost that weight, all that bullying had made me self- conscious and I still am. I used to wear things that covered my thighs and made me look twice the size I was.

This month, I started at a college in the Wairarapa. It is an all girls college and I fit in very well. I've made friends and they have helped me to stay strong. I'm even opening up to my body considering they say I have such a nice figure, they won't let me cover it up with over sized clothes.

I just want to say to anyone who is being bullied at the moment to stay strong. It gets better, trust me.

ADVICE: Don't give up on yourself and keep striving. Bullies are just weak people trying to hide themselves.

It gets better if you just believe in yourself.