getting ready for surfentag

the summer season was drawing to a close, there was a slight chill in the air in the morning according to the boys, but for me it was still boiling all the time and the crowds had lessened, it could only mean one thing for us lifeguards, it was time for surfentag!

in our team was me, jesse, maxi and gonzo and we had come up with the best idea!. after much planning and debate we decided to go with my theme, horse riding. we were going to put 2 rocking horses on the rescue boards and me and Jesse were going to ride them whilst maxi and gonzo swam the board in. we just needed to gather up the materials and costumes.

us 4 were walking round local antique shops and toy shops in a attempt to find 2 cheap rocking horses but we'd had no luck so far, they either were far to expensive or the shop didn't have them. maxi then saw a little charity shop and in the window was a rocking horse!

" finally!" gonzo exclaimed as we crossed the road over to the shop. we opened the door and a little bell rung, there was nobody around so we walked over to the window and looked at it, it was quite worn down and had pen scribbles all over it, it was a basic one, quite small with a basic saddle, stirrups and fur all over it opposed to the delicately designed ornate ones we had seen in other shops.

" that's defiantly been a kids toy!" jesse said. I bent down to look at the price tag to see it was only $15

" great this is dead cheap!" I said to the boys, maxi pulled it out the window display and started to have a go on it, that was a site to see, a grown man with tattoos on a small rocking horse.  we began to hear some footsteps coming from the back of the shop,  and then a shriek pierced the air.

we all shot round to see what was going on, a little old lady was standing there, she came running over to gonzo and threw herself round his body in a tight hug, the rest of us just looked at each other

" whaa?" jesse mouthed to me before the old lady launched herself at maxi, then jesse before stepping back

" hi, I'm just huge fans of the show!" she said excitedly looking round and trying to come to terms with having these lifeguards in her shop

" hi!, nice to meet you!" maxi said

" um yeah hi! I'm Ethel, so what can I do to help you guys today?" she asked not taking her eyes of us, I was worried she was about to have a heart attack through excitement!

" well the surfentag event is coming up and we need some rocking horses for our team" I said

Ethel turned to look at me " so are you a new lifeguard then?"

" yeah, I donated a load of money to the ride and got the prize for a lifeguard experience so I have been staying out here for a few months as a trainee"

" oh, well I haven't seen you on the bondi rescue Facebook page or twitter, usually they show the new trainee's before the show starts, oh well now I feel very informed!" she laughed. my god Facebook and twitter, was this the coolest old lady ever!

" this rocking horse would do great but we do need 2 of them, is there any chance you have another one or something similar?" maxi asked

" in actual fact I might have everything you need, follow me" ethel said leading us to the back of the shop " as this is a charity shop we can get the weirdest things donated sometimes!"  we entered a room off the side that was filled to the brim with black bin bags and donations. ethel fought her way through all the rubbish to the back of the room and we stood and watched as she pulled out another rocking horse, this one was slightly bigger and more ornate, it had a leather saddle with stirrups, definitely not a kids toy!

" ethel that looks antique you cant give us that!" gonzo protested

" yeah but you haven't seen the other side" ethel dragged the horse closer to us and turned it around, there were pen scribbles all over it and holes in it, the mane had been chopped up raggedly and one of the rockers had broken " this isn't worth more than $10 in this condition, it would have been about $200 in good condition but the family who brought it in were pretty rich and the kids were little brats, spoilt rotten I could tell, so yeah go on take those two horses, are you dressing up as well?"