Tamarama Training

The next day I turned up at the tower to find Hoppo waiting there for me. In the tower was Whippet, Bacon, Kobi, Max Ayshford, Gonzo, Azza and Deano. 

"Hey Simba, you're at Tama all today, Azza and Whippet are going to show you how to tackle rock rescues over there, so you'll need to head over in a bit " Hoppo said.

I gulped, Tamarama was deadly, especially by the rocks, I already knew the only and quickest way in was by jumping off the cliff, and with my track record I knew that literally anything could go wrong and I would probably hurt myself!

"Jesse will come with you as well, you need two people for the dummy rescues" Hoppo said. I looked over at Jesse and he gave me a reassuring smile, I knew he had done this before and would take good care of me out there. Hoppo left and walked back over to his office.

Me and Jesse walked over to Tamarama,  Azza and Whippet were already there in the Tama tower when we arrived. 

"Hey guys, so Jesse you know the drill but Simba you have no clue right?" Whippet asked.

" Yeah I only know a tiny bit, I know that I need to jump off the cliffs to reach the dummy" I said nervously. I felt Jesse give my hand a reassuring squeeze next to me.

" Good , so you know the basics then, lets head up there now and I will explain more once we're up there and can see everything" Azza said. We walked up the cliffs and rocks, until we reached the area close to the deadly twins. Azza was carrying the dummy and waited as me and Jesse pulled on our flippers.

" Right so Simba you are going to jump in first and get the dummy away from the rocks, Jesse will then jump in with the rescue tube, tie the tube round the dummy and try keep its head above water. Simba you then need to swim it to Bronte" Azza said " The key here is timing, you need to do this quickly and smoothly"

I jumped down onto the lower rock ledge and watched as Whippet pushed the dummy off into the water, it was hit by a wave and began to move towards the rocks. Taking a last look at the huge waves and deadly twins, I pushed my nerves down, and jumped off.

I hit the water and a wave came crashing over my head so I ducked to avoid it. Resurfacing I swam over to the dummy and dragged it away from the rocks. Jesse had jumped into the water at this point and came up from behind me. He passed me the tube as he held the dummy for me, water was crashing everywhere, waves were pushing us one way whilst backwash was pulling us the other way. The whole situation was quite disorientating and I felt my nerves rise as I noticed how close we were to the cliffs, but then through the water I felt Jesse's hand grab mine, looking to him he shouted over the sound of the waves.

"Its' ok, just get the tube around him, I wont let you get hurt"

I nodded and wrapped the tube around the dummy, fastening the clips on it I tied the straps around me and began to swim to Bronte. I pushed out past the breaking waves and rocks into the flatter waters and began the long swim back to shore, the dummy was a dead weight so it made it much harder. Jesse was behind the dummy pushing it along to help me.

"Go on Jorja great job!" I heard Jesse yell as we got closer to Bronte, I also noticed Whippet and Azza walking over the cliffs to the beach below to meet us. After 200 metres of swimming we finally got to the beach, dragging the dummy up the sand, I pulled off the tube and flippers, Azza and Whippet walked over.

"Great job guys, you just need to work on staying calm Simba, we saw you begin to panic, but when you're in that situation you need to stay calm as that will calm the patient down too" Azza said.

" Yep definitely, but holy shit it's terrifying down there!" I laughed.

"It bloody is, especially when the waves are solid" Whippet said " After a few rescues you get used to it though, but as they say, practice makes perfect!"

I grabbed the dummy  and flung it over my shoulders as me and Jesse began the walk back to Tamarama over the cliffs. Whippet and Azza were staying to patrol Bronte for the day.

"Hey just realised!" I laughed to Jesse " I didn't kill, injure, or embarrass myself doing that.... There is a first time for everything!"

*Jesse's POV*

As Jorja jumped into the water my heart was in my mouth, she could easily hurt herself here!

As she reached the dummy I jumped in and swam over quickly as she pushed the dummy away from the rocks. As I passed her the rescue tube a wave came crashing down and began to push us closer to the rocks, glancing over, I noticed Jorja panicking as she gasped for air. Reaching through the water I grabbed her hand to get her attention and try and calm her down, she looked at me as I said " It's ok, just get the tube around him, I won't let you get hurt"

 I noticed her calm down and she quickly tied the tube around the dummy and placed the towing straps over her body. She began to swim out towards Bronte as I pushed the dummy behind her to make it easier for her, we swam the 200 metres in relatively quick time.

When we arrived at the beach Azza and Whippet gave her some advice and we walked back to Tamarama over the cliffs.

 "Hey just realised!" she laughed to me " I didn't kill, injure, or embarrass myself doing that... There's a first time for everything!"

What she didn't realise was just how happy I was about that.

------------------------------------------

1465 reads!!!! thank you xoxoxox

comment me below some ideas as I am struggling for idea's I have plans for the Christmas, new year, Australia day and lifeguard challenge but I need more!! help!!!