Training

Hoppo told me I would be undergoing some training for the next few days, and I would need to do some tests to make sure I was up to my peak fitness. Hoppo took me down on to the beach and pointed a course already set out.

"You will need to do a 600m ocean swim, 600m board paddle and 600m run all in under 13 minutes round the M shaped course, you can surf can't you?" he politely asked

"uhh I can paddle out on my front pretty decent but I can't stand up on them" I confessed

"Oh that's fine, if you try to stand on one of these boards you'll just fall back off, they're pretty dangerous too" he sighed "One of our trainee's Taco nearly killed someone last year"   I cast my mind back to the episode where the rescue board went flying in the air and a surfer had to dive to escape it, giggling slightly " oh yeah I remember that"

One of the buggies pulled up next to us, in there was a young boy and a man in his mid forties. I instantly regonised them, it was Jake and Kerrbox, they both leaned out and smiled at me " hey you must be Jorja Trini the new lifeguard, I'm Rod Kerr but call me Kerrbox and this is Jake" he said

"Hi, How you going?" Jake smiled

"Hi it's great to meet you both" I said whilst shaking their hands " I've watched the show for years Kerrbox don't worry, I know your name  and your repuatation for rookie jokes" I added on the end, I knew Kerrboxes love for rookie jokes and I wasn't going to get caught out!

"Shit, I'll have to think of something good for you" he laughed "anyway I gotta run, we'll see you after the course" They drove off quickly whilst Jake waved at us.

"Yeah I'd check everything you use with Kerrbox around, you don't want him getting you as well" Hoppo laughed "we always have some buggies on the beach, we call them the rhino's, Kerrbox and Jake are now going down north end, down at south is Mouse and Whippet"

"Ahh the dark cloud, they will be busy" I laughed with Hoppo

"Right so you can start with the run, then swim and surf" Hoppo said " All in under 13 minutes, ready set,GO!"  He shouted, I set of at a good pace round the cones, glancing up at the tower I noticed all the boys watching me, I waved at them and powered on. After the run I ran into the sea and began to quickly swim around the bouys, trying to keep my breathing steady, the water was so warm compared to Britain! I quickly finished the swim and powered out the water and ran to the rescue board, god these were heavy! I dragged it into the sea and copied what the boys do in all the rescues and lifeguard challenges, I hopped next to the board before jumping on and paddling as quickly as I could, I had been training on the surfboards at home and was getting quite good, my arms were KILLING me though! I turned round the last marker and paddled quickly to shore, managing to catch a half foot wave on the way in, I ran up to Hoppo gasping for breath as he clicked the stopwatch.

"Well done, 10 minutes 56 seconds that's fast!"  he exclaimed, I guess all that time I spent at the gym and beach training was worth it. We walked back up to the tower and the boys cheered when I came in, I blushed in embarrassment.

"Hey you could give us all a run for our money" Gonzo laughed.

*Jesse's POV*

We all sat in the tower watching as Jorja ran through the course effortlessly.

"Wow mate we need to up our training, she is going through it faster than any of us have" exclaimed Maxi

She and Hoppo walked up to the tower, we all cheered when she came in and she blushed, she was so cute when she blushed.

"Right you are now going to do some mock rescues, with Jesse and Gonzo now, head down south end, take a board with you and the dummy, then go and rescue one of the boys" Hoppo explained to her.

"Right ok then " she smiled at me and Gonzo

Me and Gonzo stood up and walked downstairs with her, and took her into the tunnel. Looking round in awe she exclaimed " I didn't realise it went so far down" peering down to the end of the tunnel.

"Yeah it goes all the way under the walkway" I said whilst grabbing a rescue board, Gonzo grabbed the dummy and we began to make are way down to the south end.  " oh Jorja is there anything you don't like to eat, just so I don't serve it to you" I asked

" mushrooms and peppers" she said with a shudder, " I not that fussy really"

"oh that's fine I hate them too" I laughed, whilst elbowing Gonzo who was whistling the here comes the bride song,

We walked over to Mouse and Whippet who were in the rhino, "sup'guys this is Jorja, you know the one Jesse was talking about" Gonzo said whilst gesturing to Jorja

"Oh hey we've heard lots about you " they both laughed whilst shaking her hand.

"Right so you have done some rescues before haven't  you" I said

"Yeah" she mumbled " one"

"Ok we will do one where you rescue one of us first as conscious rescues are easier as they can move for you, then we will use the dummy to show what a unconscious rescue or body retrieval is like"

"Jesse you go jump in the rip, I will direct Jorja" Gonzo winked at me, clearly meaning for jorja to see it

I walked towards the rip and as Jorja's back was turned I flipped 2 fingers at Gonzo, He couldn't make it anymore obvious could he!  I swam out into the rip and let it pull me a fair way out before signalling to them to come and get me. She ran into the water and paddled over to me.

"You know what to do! Jump on, lie on your stomach" she laughed.

I rolled on and she lay inbetween my legs and started to paddle back to shore , I could see the boys laughing and nudging each other from the distance, but I was just trying not to think about where she was lying....

*Jorja's POV*

I paddled back to shore, it was quite easy to master actually, It suddenly dawned on me where I was lying, in-between  Jesse's leg and my chest was on his bum, I had dreamed of being this close to him for years now!. we got to shore and he rolled off the board.

"That was great Jorja, really good, we will try with the dummy now"

He grabbed the heavy dummy and threw it in the rip, I had to judge when to go, I few seconds later I ran in and hopped on the board, paddling quickly out to the dummy, I grabbed the heavy dead weight and positioned him on the board, before quickly paddling to shore and lifting him off. All the boys began clapping and I heard Hoppo over the radio, " Great job Jorja head back up now" I said bye to Mouse and Whippet and walked back up to the tower with Jesse and Gonzo.

I headed up the steps to see that Yatesy and Reidy had arrived

" I called these guys in so you and Jesse could go home early, I suppose your jetlagged, aren't you?"

As soon as hoppo said that, the exhaustion just hit me, god knows what time it was back in England.

"Thanks Hoppo that's great of you, hiya guys I'm Jorja" Yatesy and Reidy both introduced themselves to me and gave me a hug. Jesse appeared upstairs and Hoppo told him he had the rest of the day off to help me settle in, " Oh great, thanks Hop!" He smiled before grabbing my bag and his clothes before asking me if I was ready to go. I said bye to all the boys before following Jesse out the tower to his car.

I sat in the car and realised I was going to his flat, to live with him for a few weeks. I don't think I have ever felt so happy in my life.