The Afternoon Rush

After the policemen took my statement, Hoppo came over from the pavilion, he had heard the commotion over the radio and the police had been to his office to get his opinion on me.

"Well Simba, you must be related to Mouse, you're the bloody black cloud 2!" Hoppo exclaimed

I laughed at his comment and began to slowly stand up.

"Woah where do you think your going?" both Hoppo and Jesse said.

"Uh I'm getting back to work?" I asked walking over to the windows

"You've just been attacked, you're not going back out there!" said Hoppo.

" But it's getting busy and I want to" I sighed " I want to stay at work please Hop, I'm not even that sore" I lied.

"Fine but you have stay in the tower!" Hoppo said "I can't have you injuring yourself more, you can barely walk and talk at the same time without having some sort of injury! He laughed before heading back to his office,

" Urgh, I'm always in this fucking tower!" I said to Jesse throwing my head down on the desk.

" I'll stay up here with you to keep you company, Harries has gone down to take my slot" Jesse said sitting down next to me and picking up the binoculars. I picked up my pair and began the task of watching all the rips.

Looking out the binoculars I noticed a man come out the water just beside backpackers. Something wasn't right, he walked a bit further out and collapsed to the sand.

Radioing  Reidy I said " Hey Reidy can you go and check on that guy 20 metres to the right of you, he's just walked out and collapsed on the sand, something's not right there"

"Alright Simba, I'll let you know whats going on" Reidy said as he began to walk over to the man, he crouched down next to him, I saw Reidy talk to him and then feel the back of his head.

"Hey Simba, get the ambo its a suspected spinal" Reidy said through the radio "Can you bring the spinal board down please?"

"Shit a spinal!" I exclaimed " Hey can you run the board down quickly?" I said to Jesse as I picked up the phone to ring the ambulance, Jesse grabbed the board and collar and ran down to backpackers to assist Reidy.

"Hello it's Jorja from the Bondi lifeguard service, I was wondering if we can a have a ambulance down at Bondi Beach please, we have a suspected spinal injury" I said to the operator.

"Alright Jorja that's is on it's way now, what happened to the patient and what are their current symptoms?" she asked.

I radioed Reidy " Hey Reidy what happened to him and what are the current symptoms?"

"He has bad pins and needles in his arms and  he landed head first into a sandbank whilst body surfing, his names Dan, he's 25 from Bronte" Reidy said, I could see Jesse and Yatesy were preparing the man now on the board,

"Alright cheers Reidy,  are you bringing him up here?" I asked. It was really hot on the sand so he would be cooler in the  shade of the tower.

"Yeah gonna bring him up now" Reidy replied

I picked up the phone to the operator " Yeah he currently has bad pins and needles in his arms and  he landed head first into a sandbank whilst body surfing, I saw him walk out the water and collapse pretty quickly as well. The boys are bringing him up to the lifeguard tower as we speak."

" Ok then that ambulance should be with you shortly"

"Ok that's brilliant, thanks bye" I said before placing the phone down. The boys were driving up now and they parked outside the tower in the shade, they were not able to bring the man up the stairs so they waited with him there. Jesse had just walked up the stairs when there was a knock at the door, I went and opened it to see a surfer with a nasty leg gash, it looked very deep. " Come through mate" I said leading him to the balcony at the tower front to wash and bandage it the gaping wound. "Hey Jess can you watch the beach, just need to patch this up!"   

"Sure thing" he shouted through.

 I washed the gash with saline and placed a bandage around it, " You will need to go to the hospital mate, this will need stitches" I said looking up at him. He groaned at the thought before thanking me and limping off. I walked back in when the ambulance arrived and the paramedics walked through, they went down the stairs and picked up Dan to take him off to the hospital. Once all was calm again I breathed a large sigh of relief.

"Holy crap mad 5 minutes much!" I laughed to Jesse

"That's nothing Jorja! We sometimes have a spinal, gashes, dislocations, resuses, sharks and lost kids all at the same time!" he laughed "But that's just Bondi for you!"

I sat in the tower for the rest of the afternoon with Jesse, just talking and laughing whilst watching the rips. The rest of the afternoon was pretty calm and we all managed to leave on time. I smiled to myself as I walked back to the car with Jesse.

I'd had a rough day, but the company had made it better.

689 READS!!!   COMMENT ME SOME IDEAS FOR WHAT TO HAPPEN NEXT!!!