First Resus

Me and Jesse turned up to work the next day at 8:00, it was going to be another boiling day as the temperature was already rising and there were people arriving by the second. On duty today was Max Ashford, Kobi, Corey, Kerrbox, Tom, Quiggers, Jesse and me. We arrived and Kerrbox told us where we were today. "Jesse and Max are down north, Kobi and me are in the middle south, Tom and Quiggers your in the tower, Jorja your down in south corner with Corey" said Kerrbox.

 We all headed out the tower and began dispersing out of the tunnel with rhino's and quadbikes. Me and Corey jumped into the rhino and went down to south where there were already people beginning to arrive and set up. We positioned the rhino and pulled down the mega phone speaker "Everybody here in this rip move down into the flags, trust me it's not fun getting rescued because everybody laughs at you on the beach!" I shouted into the speaker, most people began to move out the water, but there were 2 tourists who hadn't heard me or didn't understand English, out the back. "Hey corey, should I head in?" I asked pointing at the tourists.

" Go on in, try your first double rescue!" he laughed as I began to strip down, I ran in and paddled out to the couple quickly, reaching them I said " hop on, lie on top of each other" they jumped on and I managed to get them in ok, we reached shore and I said "Next time you go for a swim go between the flags!"

" Thank you very much, so sorry" the couple mumbled before walking off, that was when it hit me that was my first rescue since the coma!

 I wandered back to Corey " Great job Jorja, first rescue back!" he exclaimed.

"Cheers man, god that felt good to be back in the water!" I dried off and sat back in the rhino.

 "You haven't got a nickname yet have you?" Corey asked.

" No actually, should I have one?"

"Yeah, any lifeguard  on this team needs one, give me some facts about you!" he said.

I felt honoured to have been accepted by the team enough to have a nickname, I tried to think about what was interesting about me, my favourite films and songs came through my head, but there was nothing really interesting about me that stood out.

" Well, my favourite film is the lion king, I'm very accident prone as you might have realised, my favourite song is My Brothers Keeper, I was a chubby kid, I love the colour red, I love horses and had one called Tammy, uhh that's all there really is about me" I admitted.

" I have a few ideas, I will ask the boys later when you go for lunch" he said. We stayed at south for a few more hours, we were just getting ready to leave when I noticed somebody right at the back of the waves, signalling  for us.

I shot up and grabbed a board, racing in I yelled " Out the back!" to Corey hoping he understood where I was going. I threw the board down and paddled furiously out, I could see a man waving and I noticed him holding up another man, he was over 100 metres out, it was too far to get to quickly. When I reached the man he hauled the man onto the board, he wasn't breathing and was blue, I instantly knew this was a resus.

I looked back to the beach and gave the resus signal, the 3 pulls of the chain, my heart began pumping as adrenaline flew round my body. The man who placed him on the board began chest compressions as I paddled quickly back to shore. 

Corey ran towards me as I arrived on shore and lifted the man off the board and took him higher up the beach away from the water and continued chest compressions.

"Where's the defib!" I shouted down the radio.

I heard tom say " Quiggers is running down now, I've rung the ambo" looking up I saw Quiggers sprinting down the beach towards us, Kobi and Kerrbox had come down from middle south and were helping Corey. I began drying the man's chest as Kobi rolled the man over to his side to expel the water from his lungs, Quiggers had arrived and set up the defibrillator and was applying the pads to his chest. A ring of death had formed around us adding to the stress of the situation.

"Clear!" shouted Kobi as the defibrillator shocked the man, his body twitched and writhed around, " Hey, I got a pulse!" Kerrbox yelled. We pulled of the defib and the mans eyes began to roll open, we rolled the man over to his side as he vomited up water.

 " You're at Bondi beach, you're ok man" I said looking at the man's eyes, the crowd began to clap as they saw the man moving around. We began taking spinal precautions as we didn't know why he had lost consciousness. Kerrbox placed a spinal collar and board on the man just at the paramedics arrived and soon took the man away up the beach to the ambulance.

Me and Corey walked into the tower and got claps by the boys in the tower, Tom and Quiggers were in the tower and Itchy and Louie had  been called down for their shift, they quickly left  for backpackers as Kerrbox was down there alone as we had been instructed to leave and go over what happened. We sat down and it  then hit me, I had saved that mans life, but I still couldn't get the image out my head, him lying there blue and lifeless, that's what a dead body looks like...

Jesse came running up to the tower after putting the rhino away, he had been at north end and had heard over the radio the commotion over the resus. Him and Max were on their lunch breaks now, Jesse came straight over and gave me a hug, " Well done Jorja, the first is always hardest, you did a great job" 

" Thanks, uh I just cant get the image of him out my head" I shuddered

" I'm taking you out for lunch, there's a café over the road, it will be good for you to get out" Jesse said " Hey Tom, we're going for lunch be back soon"

" Alrigh' guys hurry back though its still packed down here, good job there Jorja!" he said.

Me and Jesse walked out the tower over the road to a little café, Jesse slung his arm over my shoulders as we walked in " Are chips good for you?" he asked.

" Yeah sure" I said back suddenly realising how hungry I was. We sat and ate our chips outside in the sun, just chatting. When we finished we started walking back to the tower, it was now about 2:00 "Oh yeah corey was talking about a nickname for me" I said.

" What he give you?" he asked back shielding his eyes from the sun.

"He said he would speak with the boys at lunch, I gave him some ideas though" I replied.  

We walked in and I went and sat at the window, Corey appeared and said  "We got your name Jorja, you got two options either simba, as you said you loved the lion king or just J, like we've been calling you anyway?"

" Haha, Oh god they're both great!, I can't choose!" I looked at Jesse in desperation, I looked back at Corey " I will reply to both but I do like Simba!"  I laughed " Yeah just go for both, whatever is easiest at the time!"

He radioed all the boys " Bondi central, guys she chose Simba! But she said she will reply to both Simba and J!"

Laughing the radio buzzed with " Hey Simba" from Kerrbox and the other boys.

I sat down as Jesse went off to south end, me and Corey were on tower duty. The rest of the afternoon was pretty quiet, the resus had scared some people out the water which made it easier for us.

We managed to leave at 7:00 and all of us had a debrief over the resus, by the end I felt a lot better, as Corey and I had been feeling guilty that we both hadn't seen him earlier. But the boys were all brilliant support, telling us that we had done a great job and that it wasn't our fault.

When we left I couldn't feel more at home if I tried, I had a great circle of friends and a nickname, I now truly  felt like a bondi lifeguard.

OMG 500 READS!!!!!!! LOVE YOU ALL