Family

I ate dinner with Belle's family and friends. We all ate at a big long table. Santo went downstairs to the basement to get his old highchair. When he came back up Estella clapped. "Da da!!" We all gasped. "She said Da da. I smile. Santo set the chair down and picked her up. "Did you say that? Can you say it again for daddy?" He asked. She clapped. "Da da!! Da da!!!" We all coo at her. Santo puts her in her seat. Then Belle came out with a pot of spaghetti and then a tray of Texas toast. Everyone made a plate. Santo made Estella a little plate and fed her. "I can't believe you're leaving us for New York." Reginae said. I roll my eyes. "There are so many opportunities for us up in New York." I said. "Like?" Madison asked. "Jobs." I said. "Jobs?" Santo asked looking at me. I nodded. "Yea. I'm going to get a job interview to be a nursing assistant." Santo smiled. "That's great baby." I smile. "Well. You're not getting rid of me so easily." Reginae said sipping her coke. I looked at her. "What's that suppose to mean?" I asked. She smiled. "I got accepted into Juilliard!!" I gasp. "No way!!!" I said. She nodded. "Yes way!!" I give her a hug. "You'll get to live close to us." She nodded. "I know." Madison gives Reginae a hug. "I'm so proud of you. I knew you could do it."
After dinner with Belle's friends and family we headed home. But before we left I changed into my working shirt and put on my jacket. Then I gave Madison back her shirt. Santo said goodbye to some people. I said bye to Reginae and Madison. "Bye. See you guys later." We walked out into the cool night and into the garage. I strapped Estella in her car seat. "Baby what's this?" Santo asked. I turned around and saw him wave a white envelope around. Shit. My check. "Nothing." I said and snatched it back from him. He took it back from me. "Are you working?" He asked. I sighed. "Yea." He set the envelope down. "I told you I don't want you working right now. You need to focus on graduating. Not working." I pick the envelope back up. "Do you see this? This is a hundred dollars. We are a hundred dollars richer. Don't worry about me. Worry about us. Okay?" He shook his head. "Nah. Because I want you to graduate. So that you can have opportunities." I roll my eyes and shove the check in my pocket. "I'm going to graduate." He pulled out of the driveway and onto the road. "I know you are. Cause you're smart. But I don't want you worrying about having to work. End of discussion. I don't want to talk about it anymore." I look at him with my mouth opened. "Fine. Pull over. I'll walk home." Santo laughed. "I'm  serious. Pull over!" He slammed his foot on the brakes. "Baby don't be like that. Okay. I'm just looking out for you." I unbuckle my seat. "Shut up." I lean back and pull at Estella's seat. "Ava. Stop. Okay. I'm sorry. Don't get out." I look at him. "I'm sorry." I buckle Estella back up then I put my seatbelt back on. "You damn right better be sorry.