Walking down the halls of my soon to be new school, that memory pops into my head, and I smile. That had to be my favorite memory of the whole school year. Not everyday do you get to see Clara getting her hair pulled out.

But then I frown, as I realize that I won't have anyone here to stick up for me. I won't have anyone to protect me from the people who will make fun of me because I can't speak.

And suddenly, I miss my friends so much... I miss being able to call Heather, to let her know about how Sam broke up with Lisa.

I just miss being able to call her.

"Are you excited to start a new school?" Aunt Maddie says cheerfully, interrupting my depressing thoughts.

I don't look at her.

She should already know that answer.

She sighs, and we turn down the corner.

An empty school has always been weird to me. It just seems so different from when it's crowded and teens are all over the place, bumping into each other.

This school is much bigger than my old one. My old one was perfect for me. This one is too big. I'm always going to get lost here.

"Oh my.." I hear Aunt Maddie trail off, and I look over to my right, to see a big 'School Sucks!' sign, on a few lockers, written in graffiti.

See? We never would have things like that at my school.

"Oh, I'm so sorry that you had to see that." An older man, who looks to be a little on the heavy side, and bald side says, coming up to us. "I'm Principle Lewis." He looks to the graffiti. "We meant to have this cleaned up."

"It's fine." She says to him, and smiles assuredly. "I'm sure you know why we're here."

He looks down at me, and smiles, his front teeth a little crooked, and I can just see that I'm already going to hate it here.

"You must be Lyric." Principle Lewis holds his hand out to me. "It's nice to meet you."

I look down at his hand, then back to his face. He has brown spots all over it from getting too much sun, his cheeks are chunky, and his light blond hair is thinning out, and starting to turn grey.

After a few minutes of me just staring at him, Aunt Maddie elbows me lightly in the side, and mumbles, "Shake his hand."

I sigh loudly, grip his hand in the hand of mine that's not broken, and shake it quickly before letting go.

He laughs nervously, and looks at Aunt Maddie like, 'What's her problem?'

She narrows her eyes at me, and then looks back at the Principle. "I'm sorry for her attitude. She's had one ever since she's lost her voice, which is why I need to talk to you."

He nods his head, and gestures to down the hall. "Well, then you can come with me. "Ms. Lyric... You can just stay out here, and maybe look around if you want.."

I shrug, and they start walking off towards-and I'm guessing- his office.

Once they're where I can't see them anymore, I sit down on the floor, and cover my head with one of my arms.

I can't wait for this to be over.

But, then once I'm signed up, in two days, on Monday, I have to start school...

Tears prick at my eyes, and I push them back. There's no time to cry now. I'm too strong to cry.

Crying is for weak people.

After Aunt Maddie comes back, she smiles at me. "Well, you're all set! All you have to do is show up Monday morning." She hold out a piece of paper. "Here's your schedule. You have some special classes because.. well.. you know."

I give her the dirtiest look ever, and she takes a step back away from me.

I knew this would happen.. It's just, now that it's happening, it hurts worse.

~~~

"Lyric! Lyric, are you dressed?"

I glare at the clock, that's now reading 8:38 Pm in bright pink letters.

It's Sunday... I have to go to.. church.

I've never been to church in my life, and I don't want to start now.

Someone knocks on my door. "Lyric we have to leave in forty five minutes. If you aren't up, you'll have to go like you are, because you're not staying home."

My family doesn't believe in church. It's just a waste of time to me. There are people who will go on Easter, or maybe Christmas, but we don't even go then.

The doorknob turns, but since my door is locked, it doesn't open. "I'll get the key if I have to." Aunt Maddie threatens.

My throat just burns to say 'Go away', but instead, I throw the covers off, stand up, and throw open my door, grimacing slightly at the pain in my right hand.

Aunt Maddie jerks back in surprise, probably not expecting me to open the door... She was probably thinking she was going to have to get the key.

She eyes my pajama shorts, and pajama tank top. "You have to get dressed. We're about to leave, and you can't go like that."

I shrug, and shut my door.

I don't want to go!!

My right arm starts throbbing, as the pain in my head starts hurting.

It's probably from stress.

With my good hand, I pull my tank top and shorts off, and very carefully, put some pretty decent clothes on.

The thought comes into my head of dressing like a stripper just to bug them, but I figure I shouldn't be mean.

"Are you ready yet?" Uncle Frank's voice come muffled through my door.

How am I supposed to respond to that? Hm?

I ignore him, and start to do the awkward job of pulling my hair through the pony tail with one hand, so my hair looks at least a little bit pretty, and I slide on some flip flops.

I didn't think plan through when I punched the wall... Just like I didn't think jumping off of that roof through either.

I open the door to see both Uncle Frank and Aunt Maddie standing there... And Aunt Maddie has the key to my room in her hand.

Aunt Maddie See's how mad I look that they were planning on coming into my room, and she smiles apologetically. "We didn't know if you were up yet or not... And you know.. Since you can't ta-"

She stops herself, and covers her mouth with her hand, her eyes big.

I ball my hands so hard into fists, that I feel my nails digging into my skin.

Go on and say it! Say I can't talk!

Uncle Frank places his hand on my shoulder. "Lyric, she didn't mean-"

I push his hand off of my shoulder roughly, run in my room, and slam the door so hard, that I swear, I could feel the house shake.

That's it, that's it! I'm through!