Chapter 9 - Destiny

Chapter Nine

Destiny

    A few days later, I was sitting on the couch flipping through the tv channels when the phone rang. My mom answered. I could hear her very well.

    "You want what?"

    Silence.

    "Oh...ok. When? Sure. Yeah. Ok. Thank you. Bye." She hung up. I put down the remote and wandered over to the kitchen. My mom still had her hand on the receiver.

    "What?" I asked, a sense of anxiety growing.

    "We have to go back to the hospital. Apparently there was some inconsistencies? That's what they said anyway." I nodded.

    "Let me grab my phone." I ran upstairs and grabbed my iPhone. I texted Lizzy and Anna and told them what was going on. I soon got a reply from Lizzy. She told me she hoped everything went fine. I sighed and met up with my mom in the car. Then we started the drive to the hospital.

    "Thank you for coming." The doctor told my mom and I.

    "Sure. What's the matter?" My mom started wringing her hands together.

    "Uh...the biopsy of your bone marrow showed us something. Once we knew what we were looking at, it was painfully obvious of what was wrong with you." Even I knew something was very very wrong.

    "What?!" I asked sharply.

    "Destiny, you have cancer." The words seemed to float through my ears.

    "I...what?" My eyes glossed over and I tried convincing myself over and over in my head that this was just a bad dream and it was all going to be fine. But it wasn't.

    "You have Leukemia. It's a type of cancer. With the right treatments, we might be able to rid your body of it. The success rate in children your age is around 76%. We did catch it pretty late though." I swallowed.

    "There is a very good hospital for cancer patients in Minneapolis. It was Nationally ranked in oncology." I felt a tear slip down my face. Then rage filled me. I jumped up and hit the doctor in chest, tears flowing freely now. I kicked the examinaion table and the other chairs in the room, I threw papers from the desk onto the floor, and finally I threw the door open and ran through the hallways, knowing my mother and the doctor were chasing after me. I turned a corner and ran into the lobby. A few people stared at me, and I ran outside, not caring where I was headed. I just had to escape this. But the harsh reality was that I couldn't escape it. I was dying.

    I walked around the block and soon found myself in front of a fountian. Just a small one in front of the hospital. I sat down on the edge and watched the small drops of glittering light spurt up out of the top and fall back down into the shimmering water. I heard footsteps and turned my head. My mom was walking towards me.

    "Hey. What was that in there?" I couldn't help but start to cry again.

    "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean - I don't - I'm really sorry." I hung my head, running my hand through the silky water.

    "I know. Why don't we go home and get some things that you might want to take with you to Minneapolis?" I sighed.

    "We have to go now? To that cancer center?"

    "He said as soon as possible. I just want you to be healthy. Now come on, we have to go." I stood up and followed her to the car. On our way out of the city, I turned on the country radio station. Usually songs mean nothing to me. It's just music to fill in the absence of sound. But one song played that really made me stop and think. It was called Live Like you were Dying by Tim McGraw. I had turned the radio on in the middle of the song. I listened intently.

    "I asked him when it sank in, if this might really be the real end, how's it hit you when you get that kind of news? Man what you do? He said I went skydivin' I went Rocky Mountain climbin' I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter and I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'. And he said someday I hope you get the chance, to live like you were dyin'..." I listened to the rest of the song and realized that even if I was going to live, I should still do the things that mean the most to me. I took out my iPhone and texted Lizzy and Anna:

        we have to talk when i get back. its important.

    I soon got a reply from both of them:

        ok sure.

    I took a deep breath and mentally prepared myself for how I was going to tell them.

---------------------------

Oh no! :-( the truth is out. Poor Destiny. Let's keep reading and see if the treatment will kick that cancer in the butt! Comment! Vote! Like! :-)

~Elise