24. In Sickness & In Health

Start from the beginning

A soft smile tugged at the corners of my lips, and a surge of happiness coursed through me. It was a subtle reminder of the enduring bond we shared, a connection that now was starting to rebuild. She stopped calling me that now and it hurt me more than I'd like to admit.

The weight of recent events momentarily lifted, replaced by the joyous realization that, despite the challenges we faced, the essence of our connection remained intact.

With a deep breath, I dialed Nirmal's number. The call connected, and I wasted no time, my words tumbling out with a fervor that mirrored the storm within me.

"Nirmal, I need your help with something", I spit out.

"Arjun it's 3 in the morning, I'm getting my beauty sleep. Don't call me again. Good night", he said groggily.

"This is serious Nirmal. I'm not fucking with you. Something happened tonight, and I need to know who this number belongs to," I explained, my tone and choice of words reflecting the gravity of the situation.

"Oh shit what happened?", he asked suddenly alert.

I briefly explained to him whatever Shruthi told me and explained what I needed from him. The first thing he asked me after I was.

"Is Shruthi ok? ", concerned about her well-being.

"No she's pretty shaken up and the bastard is going to pay for hurting her", I said glancing at her sleeping form.

Nirmal, responded with a calm assurance, "Arjun, I got you. Just send me the number, and I'll see what I can find."

I quickly texted him the mysterious number. As I awaited his response, a swell of conflicting emotions surged within me, anxiety, anger, and an unwavering determination to protect the woman who was the anchor of my life.

The seconds stretched into minutes, each tick of the clock amplifying the weight of the unknown. Finally, Nirmal's message illuminated the screen, a lead that would help me track down the bastard.

Armed with newfound information, I steeled myself for the path ahead. I mentally concocted a plan to teach the guy a lesson that he wouldn't forget in this lifetime, and I slide back into the bed with Shruthi satisfied that I'll be taking revenge for the pain he caused her.

The morning sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow on our bedroom. I woke up to find Shruthi, looking pale and unwell. Concern flooded my senses as I watched her struggle to sit up, her discomfort evident. "Are you okay?" I asked, my voice laced with worry.

Her feeble nod attempted reassurance, but her condition was apparent. The fragments of memories from the previous night lingered, and it was my responsibility to ensure she felt better. I couldn't shake the guilt for not picking her up, knowing she'd been through a distressing experience.

As I tended to her needs, the worry on her face mirrored my internal turmoil. In the other room, Lea somehow sensing that something was off knocked on our door repeatedly.

"Arjun, what's going on? Why does she look so unwell?" Lea questioned looking at Shruthi, her worry evident in her voice.

"Unnaku epdi theriyum etho aachunu?", I asked confused.

"Normalah Saturday leavena Anni inneram kizha vanthurupaanga aana innaiku innum varaleyenu paarthen", she said shrugging.

I sighed, momentarily contemplating how much to share. " Shruthiku odambu Seri illa. Olunga thoongama nethu stress aanthunaala. Naa paathukuren avala, nee kavala padatha."
(She's not feeling well, it's just a bit of stress and lack of sleep. I'll take care of her, you don't need to worry.)