Chapter 58

Pain

Pain.... So much pain..... that was all I felt in my head, in my stomach and in my chest, in sense all over my body. My head, it felt like someone was pounding it with a hammer. It was a terrible feeling. But when I tried to open my eyes it was not possible. All I could see was darkness. After a while of trying I gave up and soon the darkness consumed me again.

"Why isn't she waking up?" I heard someone's voice. Upon concentrating, I recognised it as Kartavya's voice.

"Don't worry Kartavya, she will wake up. She is my strong girl." This time I recognised Dadi's voice. But even her voice held the same sadness like Kartavya.

"It's my fault I shouldn't haven't have never let her go alone." I wanted to tell him that this is not his fault. I wanted to hold him and comfort him. After a few seconds I felt someone kiss my forehead and hold my hand.

"Wake up baby. You are scaring me. I know you must be mad at me for not finding you fast but please don't punish me like this. Wake up please." His voice cracked and he kissed my hand.

******

I heard voices, someone was talking and it disturbed my peaceful sleep. Go away, let me sleep. I wanted to yell at them. I wasn't able, however hard I tried. Ugh. But soon the voices got clear. I tried to concentrate on who was talking and heard an unfamiliar voice. "It's hard to determine Mr. Raichand. She had a contusion to the head but her brain function is normal and there is no swelling in her brain." The man said.

"Are her vitals good now?" He asked.

"Yes, Mr. Raichand her vitals are good. We have to wait until she decides she is ready to wake up. Just give her some time." I felt someone's hand squeezing my hand.

"Di, Please wake up. We can't bear it anymore. Dadi and Dadu are so sad. Dadi has been crying non stop, we can't console her. Bhaiya hasn't talked to anyone, he has been suffering alone and I don't know what to do. Please wake up, we can't live without you." Kshitij, my baby brother cried. I tried to open my eyes but I couldn't.

No, please don't cry. I want to reassure him that I'm alright but It's hard to open my eyes and slowly I slipped into darkness.

******

*Beep* *Beep*

Ugh what the hell. I scrunch my eyebrows trying to get back to sleep and ignore the insistent beeping. Someone stop that. When that didn't happen, I tried to open my eyes and this time I was successful. The first thing that came into my vision was an unfamiliar white ceiling and the strong stench of antiseptic and I scrunch my nose at the smell. I tried to look around and figure out where I was.

I was in a big room with white sterile walls, a hospital room. Everything was dark except for the bedside lamp beside me . It was empty and silent other than the beeping. I tried to move my hands and legs to check if they were working properly. When I looked to the side I noticed Kartavya sleeping leaning on my bed. My hand brushed against his soft hair when he did not move, I brushed my hand on it again and he jerked awake. "Hi." I croaked.