Chapter 47

After comforting Dadi and successfully persuading her to take her medication and rest, the four of us gathered in the living room

After comforting Dadi and successfully persuading her to take her medication and rest, the four of us gathered in the living room. Kshitij seemed engrossed in his phone, while Avy spoke in hushed tones, assuring me that everything would be fine and that Dadi and Dadu would be alright. I couldn't have managed to do this without Avy's supportive presence by my side today. His comforting demeanour was exactly what I needed. With a sigh, I leaned my head against his shoulder for a moment of solace.

"Ani, there's something else I need to talk to you about," My brother whispered, capturing my attention. I lifted my head to meet his gaze. He appeared restless, his fingers fidgeting nervously. An air of tension enveloped the room, and I noticed Kshitij's uneasy movements as well. Sensing the gravity of the situation, I furrowed my brows and directed my focus toward my brother.

"What's going on?" I inquired cautiously, my eyes fixed on his face. His expression was strangely neutral, devoid of any emotion. It was as if his features had been chiselled from ice, concealing whatever turmoil lay beneath the surface. He opened his mouth to say something when one of the workers came into the living room.

"Utkarsh babu, Bade Malik is calling you all into his study." He announced. Utkarsh sighed and stood up.

"Okay we are going you can go, thank you." Bhaiya said to him. "Let's go then this is going to be a long and exhausting talk." He sighed as he started walking towards the study.

We all walked into the study to see Dadu sitting in his deep thoughts . When we settled onto the couch and Utkarsh Bhaiya on the armchair. Dadu sighed and looked at Avy and I. "So, what do you want to talk to us Dadu?" Kshitij asked, looking nervous. Dadu looked at all of us, his attention stopping on Bhaiya.

"First of all, why did you think it was the best idea to hide and suffer in silence?" His voice was laced with unconcealed anger but it was not directed at us. "I want to know what all has happened." He said sternly. Bhaiya sighed.

"But we told everything already." I said so he wouldn't ask for any more. He looked at me sternly and for the first time I felt nervous. He never got angry at me. I gulped lowering my gaze.

"You told us what you thought was the best and least painful, you thought I would believe that?" He narrowed his eyes on the three of us. Bhaiya shook his head. We know how stubborn Dadu can get when he wants.

"What do you want to know about Dadu?" Bhaiya asked.

"Tell me when it started and who did it first, Sanjay or his wife? And who did they hit first?"

"It was me, Netra, his wife. She hit me first in front of Kshitij and Ani so they could instil fear in both of them and if they did anything they didn't like they would be next. We were shocked, unable to do anything. When I tried to ask why they did and that I would tell you about this, she said that if I told you, you wouldn't believe us and punish us more for lying." Bhaiya sighed. "We should have known that you would never do that but we were so vulnerable and we were adjusting to life without Maa and Papa we thought that was true and kept quiet."