Chapter 7

It has been a week since the anniversary and Kartavya and I haven't talked much

It has been a week since the anniversary and Kartavya and I haven't talked much. I was still shocked by his silence when I asked if he loved her or not. I was bothered by it, I don't know why but I was really bothered by his silence.

After I walked away from the dance, he went to the bar and we didn't talk to each other after that. At one point I noticed him walking towards the back exit and soon he disappeared somewhere. He came back after an hour from wherever he went. I wanted to ask him where he went but thought that's not the right time.

During the ride home I asked him where he disappeared and he answered with nowhere. After that I didn't ask him anything.

I shook my head not wanting to think anymore of that and concentrated on the paperwork in front of me. It was about 15 minutes later that I heard a knock on my cabin door. Lifting my head, I looked at the person standing there and a full blown smile spread on my lips seeing my Utkarsh bhaiya standing there.

"Bhaiya" I stood up from my chair and went to hug him. God, how I missed him. It was literally a month since my wedding and I haven't seen them in person since my Pagphera. "Aap yahan kya kar rahe hain?"

(What are you doing here brother?)

"Oh there's something Kaushika wanted to discuss with me. So I wanted to meet you before I went to his cabin." He said while caressing my hair. "Kaisi ho gudiya, kya woh tumhare saath accha behave kar rahe hain? Kya Kaartavya aapka acha kayal rakh raha hai." Always worried about me. He has been Kshtij and I's saviour since we were children. He always made sure to keep us safe from our uncle and aunt, our fathers elder brother and his wife.

(How are you Gudiya, are they treating you well? Is Kartavya good to you.)

We were a happy family. My uncle and aunt loved us before our parents' death or so we thought. After Our parents died in a car accident it was as if a switch had been flipped. They took us in and since then it was a nightmare for the three of us. I was only six back then when this all started happening, my grandparents lived in a different house, grieving their youngest son and daughter-in-law's death.

My uncle and aunt would abuse us physically and verbally. They make us do the house chores even if they had house help and abuse us if we didn't do it properly. The main focus of their abuse was me. I didn't understand why until I grew up. They would separate us from each other and lock us in dark rooms and wouldn't give us food, if we did something that she thought was wrong. My aunt's target was mostly me and she would sometimes take the abuse to a whole new level when Bhaiya and Kshitij were not around.

Around the time I was turning 8 bhaiya saw her hitting me for taking back my toy from her daughter which was given by my parents. He was so angry he pushed her hard that she fell to the ground. To say she was angry would be an understatement. Not only did she beat us, she also told our uncle about it and he hurt bhaiya so much he wasn't able to breathe and made us watch and told this would happen to us if we ever did or say against them.