Chapter 24

We stood in the living room bidding our goodbyes to everyone

We stood in the living room bidding our goodbyes to everyone. "It was good having you here Kartavya. We had a good time with you." Avy nodded and squeezed her hand.

"Me too Dadi, thank you for having me here." He smiled.

"We are family, stop being so formal, it's getting old." Bhaiya said with a wry smile. We moved towards the foyer and I hugged everyone one last time before and made our way to the car. Bhaiya was right behind us. He opened the car door for me and I settled down in the passenger seat. Kartavya sat in the driver seat when Bhaiya leaned on my window and looked at Avy.

"Next time send my sister alone so we can spend our time alone with her. Your presence is not needed." I gasped.

"Bhaiya what the hell, how can you say that to him?" I hit his hand lightly which was placed on the window. "Don't mind him Kartavya, he is just kidding."

"I'm not" He mumbled.

"Shut up Bhaiya." I hissed.

Avy chuckled and looked at Bhaiya with a challenging look. "Bye Rajvansh, see you when we return from Udaipur." With that we drove off. It was silent in the car, none of us said a word and it was becoming unbearable. Avy seems to be in deep thoughts.

"What happened? Why are you so silent?" I placed my hand on his which was resting on his thigh. He looked at me for a brief second and focused his attention back on the road.

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" He changed the gear and looked in the rear view mirror. I looked behind and saw two cars of security detail following us.

"Is that much security really necessary?" I frowned looking at him. He hummed without really saying anything.

"Avy?" I called.

"What happened back there at your brother's place?" He inquired with a strained voice. I was confused at what he was talking, I looked at him with furrowed brows trying to recall what he was talking about.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned.

He scoffed and looked at me from his peripheral vision. "Anika, are you really going to be like that?"

"Avy I really don't understand what you're talking about."

"What happened after your uncle's family came? Your whole behaviour changed after they came. You became rigid and all your smiles were forced. I kept asking you what happened but you just smiled and said everything is okay when you and I clearly know it wasn't" He took a right turn and looked at me as waiting for my response.

As for me I was dumbfounded, He still remembered what happened and noticed how I behaved. I didn't think he still remembered. "Well?" He urged. I smiled nervously.

"Nothing was wrong Kartavya. I don't understand what you're talking about. Why would my behaviour change when they came." I let out a nervous laugh. He turned towards me and that's when I noticed how angry he was. He was gripping the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles turned white from the force.